Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    konradsa Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2007, 03:17 PM
    Transferring money from Germany to USA
    Hi,

I am planning to transfer money from Germany to the USA (~$50k). Mostly to take advantage of the good dollar/Euro exchange rate right now, since I am thinking about buying an apartment/house next year, and I want to exchange at the current rate.

The money is mostly coming out of my own savings in Germany, partially also my parents chipped something in. Now I am wondering whether I should be carefully somehow not to get taxed on it.

I should not have to pay taxes on it, since it is my own money anyway, and it's not from an inheritance or anything. Is this correct? Is there anything I should be careful about?

I am currently in the US on an E1 visa, green card application is currently being filed.

Thanks,
    -- Sascha
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 13, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Sascha:

You will NOT get taxed on the money, but you MAY have to prove to the IRS where it came from.

Just have the savings account documents available and you should have no problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Usa and indian income for taxes in usa [ 2 Answers ]

Myself and my wife are green card holders .my son,a us citizen gifts us some shares which we sell from time to time and use proceeds for our personal expenses.This totals around $11000 for 2006. In addition myself and my wife have indian income mainly from dividend and interest and also income...

Travel from germany to usa [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 20 year old german girl who wants to travel to america for a vacation for a week or two. How to I get the needed passport in order to go, any help is much appreciated, thank you

Transferring money from Egypt to Britain [ 1 Answers ]

My Egyptian grandfather was a wealthy businessman in Egypt. However, Nasser (Egyptian prime minister) came to power and nationalised everything. My grandfather lost all that both he and his father had worked for all their lives. My mother spent nearly 50 years of her life fighting to get...

View more questions Search