Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Solo47 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 06:59 PM
    Wattage Output!
    Hi.

Im currently looking for a h-fi system that will play both CD's and also that will play and dock my iPod.

Now I have found two that I like but I'm confused about the wattage.

My problem is that the first system claims to have 50 watts output power and sounds good. And is £100

The second system claims to have 5 watts of output power and is £180.

Now the problem is after comparing the two systems the sound of the 5 watt system is far louder, clearer and superior to that of the 50 watt, how can this be possible? Or am I missing something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 07:33 PM
    Yep, something called SPL (Sound Pressure Level) at 1 watt, but you probably won't find the spec.

Also watch how they rate it. Are you sure it's output power or "power input"?
    Does one say Maximum or peak power rather than rms power?

Bet your comparing apples to oranges.

Nov 9, 2007, 03:30 PM
    The 5 watt one is "RMS" and the 50 watt is just "output power"
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Do the units have separate speakers? Do they list something like "x ohms"?

The 5W rms guys are doing it right. I'd be suspect of the 50 W unit.

Nov 9, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Tell you what I'll link you to the products, see what you think of it.

This is the 50 watt unit:
    http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...d/Product.html

And this is the 5 watt RMS unit:
    TEAC TDX250I Hi-Fi Micro System at a great price! Home delivery or collect your low-priced TEAC TDX250I Hi-Fi Micro System today!

Thanks for the replies by the way, nice one.
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 06:49 PM
    Well, you loose a few points too. The Boom Box is 25 W x 2

The second might be this

TEAC Consumer Electronics iPod Sound Systems

Which is 5 W RMS x 2 + 15 W subwoofer

The second is the right way to go. High frequencies don't need to move much air and to give you an idea, I have a 100 W speaker system. The woofers are rated for 100 W and the tweeters are fused at about 35.

The ratio of 5/15 and 100/35 are about the same.

Peak powers are usually about 1.4 * RMS. If this is the case it COULD be esentially the same at 17.5 W RMS.

Bi-Amping (high frequencies to one driver and lows to another with separate amps) is always preferrable.

The second wins hands down. The first may sound distorted and the second much cleaner.

Nov 23, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Thanks very much. I reckon I will go for the second one! Much appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baseboard Heater wattage [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings Gang! I have acquired some electric baseboard heaters from my sister. I have taken them apart trying to find some writing as to wattage so I can figure what type of wire I need, however, there is no writing anywhere to indicate name, model, wattage or anything. Is there any other...

Wattage restriction? [ 14 Answers ]

I have a tri-light table lamp that has a sticker on the bulb socket that warns of fire hazard over 100watts. BUT a stamp on the socket reads 250V 250W. Is there truly a danger in using a 150watt tri-light bulb?

Maximum wattage of an electrical product [ 1 Answers ]

To Whom It May Concern, I have been asked to design an electrical patio heater and I need to verify what is the maximum wattage that I can legally use in the USA. One source told me nothing more than 1500W. Is this true or is it another number? Thank you for your time. P.S. If I have the...

Understanding maximum wattage [ 1 Answers ]

I have two floodlight fixtures on a single switched circuit. Each fixture has a pair of 150 watt bulbs for 300 watts per fixture or 600 watts on the circuit. I want to replace one of the fixtures with a fixture that has a motion detector as is commonly sold in hardware stores. Like the fixture...

Maximum wattage for light fixture [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new hamptom bays ceiling light fixture. It has two sockets for light bulbs and is labeled "maximum wattage 60" Does that mean a total of 60 watts between the two or 60 for each bulb.

View more questions Search