Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    live2jam Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 04:46 PM
    How long before we're homeless?
    I live in Virginia, and my house was foreclosed on and auctioned off today. I need to know how much time I have under the law before eviction takes place, and what options I might have to find housing for a family of seven within that time frame.

Ouch.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 05:23 PM
    You have at least until the home is sold at auction, which I'm guessing that since it was auctioned off today, is today. The person or bank/group/whatever that purchased will probably start eviction within the week.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 05:26 PM
    I'm reading on some website that eviction may not occur for 5 days, although they probably sent you a letter stating when you had to be out of the residence.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Nov 8, 2007, 05:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by live2jam
    I live in Virginia, and my house was foreclosed on and auctioned off today. I need to know how much time I have under the law before eviction takes place, and what options I might have to find housing for a family of seven within that time frame.

Ouch.
    Quick and not much. If you are a TENANT in a foreclosed home, you are entitled to no notice. If you are the foreclosed HOMEOWNER, you should have received paperwork on the timeline.

Check with local social services, Salvation Army, Catholic charities and other housing agencies on your options for housing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 8, 2007, 05:40 PM
    About 1 to 5 days, basically you are tresspassing after the sale,

Nov 8, 2007, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by charlotte234s
    I'm reading on some website that eviction may not occur for 5 days, although they probably sent you a letter stating when you had to be out of the residence.
    I haven't received any info from the buyer as of yet, but I seem to remember something about 10 days...

I've spoken with several people today about this, and I've heard answers ranging from 1 to 90 days.

So now I'm looking for boxes. And a place to call home, at least temporarily.

Thanks for your response though.

Nov 8, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cvillecpm
    Quick and not much. If you are a TENANT in a foreclosed home, you are entitled to no notice. If you are the foreclosed HOMEOWNER, you should have received paperwork on the timeline.

Check with local social services, Salvation Army, Catholic charities and other housing agencies on your options for housing.
    Thanks for the info. I was the homeowner and I should know this, but the last week or so has been a flurry of panic, trying to find a way to stop it.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Nov 9, 2007, 05:57 AM
    If the property went back to the BANK/BANK to a new buyer (usually the bank) once the gavel on the sale sounds, you are tresspassers and the only EVICTION notice is the sheriff coming to remove you.
    Angel_Wings Posts: 105, Reputation: 13

Nov 9, 2007, 09:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by live2jam
    I haven't recieved any info from the buyer as of yet, but I seem to remember something about 10 days...

I've spoken with several people today about this, and I've heard answers ranging from 1 to 90 days.

So now I'm looking for boxes. And a place to call home, at least temporarily.

Thanks for your response though.

Just wanted to say, I'm sorry for your troubles.
    Maybe you can get some assistance to get you back into another home.
    Angel_Wings

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jesus was homeless [ 8 Answers ]

I found this on the net, not mine, but I lost the guys name that wrote it. The thing is, has anyone ever had a similar experience they would care to write about? This is not up for another argument so please, those of you that love to be disagreeable please refrain from posting! No story, no post...

Homeless tax situation [ 15 Answers ]

Hello and thank you. I know a homeless guy who has not filed taxes since 1970. He needs medical assistance but is afraid he will be arrested and will not go to the doctor. How can I get him back into the system? He has not made over $3,000 a year since 1970. He makes his income from washing...

Unhappy or homeless or fights [ 4 Answers ]

So, I have a problem. I am a 19 year old girl who is attending college while suffering at home. I will give the background history. I am a volleyball player of over 10 years. Varsity all 4 years in high school, college last year. Well, I always played because my older sisters did, my...

Homeless [ 1 Answers ]

I am practically homeless because of my rental history. I wanted to know if I paid off the broken leases (even though the monies will be paid to a collection agency) would this help me gain housing? I have 3 broken leases. One broken lease is from 2001 for $1400.00. 2nd broken lease is from...

Homeless situation... [ 5 Answers ]

What are some causes of homelessness? Will someone please tell me? I have a report due Friday and I need to know this. Thanks! :o

View more questions Search