Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ssrodd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 03:46 PM
    Damp Patch on bedroom wall
    We have a damp patch in my daughters bedroom, that is in the middle of the wall. It does NOT touch the top (all our gutters and soffits were replaced last year), but part of it does go towards the window. It does get bigger when it rains. It is currently about 3ftX3ft. I have checked the loft and there is no leak in the roof that I can see. Could this be coming through the wall. If so, who do I call in to get this looked at? Any ideas?
    chalfmann Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrodd
    We have a damp patch in my daughters bedroom, that is in the middle of the wall. It does NOT touch the top (all our gutters and soffits were replaced last year), but part of it does go towards the window. It does get bigger when it rains. It is currently about 3ftX3ft. I have checked the loft and there is no leak in the roof that I can see. Could this be coming through the wall. if so, who do I call in to get this looked at? Any ideas?
    The source of the water may not be where it is showing up on the wall. Since you mentioned the winndow, I would make sure that the window is flashed properly. Unfortunately, since the drywall became wet, you are going to have to cut that section out. Otherwise, you run the risk of mold and if it is an exterior wall, you will need to replace the insulation. Once you cut that drywall out, you will have a better chance of locating the source of the leak.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2007, 06:27 PM
    ssrodd - Did you raise up the insulation and look on top side of ceiling sheetrock ? In the same line across from front to back check the roof rafters , most of the time the leak will not be where theleak shows up go at least 2 rafters each way looking IF you wait until it raions then get up in attic and you will more then likely find the leak.. MOST of the time it is up close to the ridge ,and the water will run down the rafter, till it hits a low spot in the rafter then drips off . GOOD LUCK F.B.E.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DAMP! With a magnolia twist [ 6 Answers ]

:eek: Hi there I have black patches in both my bathroom and a bedroom, the surveyor came around (its a housing association property) and at first he tried to pass the black stuff (which I will now refer to as damp, because that's what it is) off as condensation, I then pointed out that I have...

Damp proofing [ 1 Answers ]

How much does it cost to have damp proffing done

Damp Smell in Bedroom [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, all. On one side of my son's 2nd floor bedroom, a musty smell will become noticeable every time we close his door more than 1/2 way for more than 10-15 minutes. This has been happening since we moved in 2 months ago. It does not coincide to rain and comes back after you air out the room. ...

Damp brickwork [ 1 Answers ]

We've had an extraordinary amount of rain this season, our home is built out of clay blocks and the dampness has caused a white salty looking substance to accumilate on the inside walls, especially on the mortar. Can any tell me the best method of removing this. I have tried brushing it off but...

Dryer gets hot but clothes are damp [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a wirlwool dryer and the air is hot but the clothes remain damp even after the hottest cycle. Also the air seems moist. Any ideas?

View more questions Search