Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Trapping a stray cat the second time
    Hi, about a week or ten days ago I trapped a stray cat and relocated it about 4 miles to a friends barn, we thought it could help with the rodent prob. Anyway today the cat is back around my house, what do you think the odds of trapping it again with the same trap, or do you think I need to try something else. Also, we have a female that has been fixed and this stray ambushes her every time she out, would you guess the stray to be a male or female? Thanks
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2007, 10:22 PM
    It's hard to tell really, if you want to trap it in a live trap, I'm guessing it will go in again if there's food, but you may want to move the trap to a different place so the cat doesn't catch on?

And it may be a male seeking to mate who doesn't know the female is spayed or a female that may try to fight your cat, which is dangerous as strays may be carrying disease. If the cat comes around, you need to take your pet and put it in a safe place where the other cat cannot get at it. It's easy to tell whether a cat is male or female though. When it's tail is up, it may be gross, but just take a peek. Males will have, excuse my language, balls, basically, and you will be able to tell whether they are neutered or not.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 6, 2007, 10:45 PM
    Usually cats are pretty smart and don't fall for a trap the second time. Use very smelly food like a little bit of tuna with oil or cooked chicken pieces. Cats who've lived in a place for a while will try to get back to that place. Is there a vet who will neuter the cat for a low fee or for free? Check with an animal shelter in your area to find such a vet. Once the cat has been neutered, it might be willing to be relocated, but don't count on it. At least it will become nicer and won't continue to populate the world with unwanted kittens.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2007, 04:52 AM
    I'll try the stinky tuna with the same trap in a different location. Best I can find out there's no animal shelter near, I might try the local vet again, wasn't to helpful the first time. Now let's go trappin'.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bringing a stray cat into a house with another cat? [ 22 Answers ]

Okay, I have a male cat, who is about 14 years old, and he is still very active. Recently we've been having a stray cat who looks to be at most a year and a half old come around our house. It is a girl, and she hangs around our house all day. It is a gorgeous cat, and we've been considering...

Pregnant stray cat [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, My family has unofficially adopted a stray cat that we named sylvester.. it was born in our neighbourhood and we have been feeding it and petting it since it was just a few months old.. two months ago, she became pregnant.. she had her kittens where she was born in our neighbour's...

Is this stray cat pregnant? [ 1 Answers ]

A few days ago a stray cat started coming around. Today I noticed that she is either pregnant or has recently had kittens. Is there any way to tell which?

Catching a stray cat [ 3 Answers ]

We have fed a stray cat for about a year now and the other day when he came we noticed he was hurt. He is not putting any weight on one of his front paws, and its been like that for about two weeks. We would like to get him to the vet to see if there is anything they can do, but he won't let us get...

Pregnant Stray Cat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi... About a week ago, my kids and I discovered a stray cat at my ex's house. She HAS to be pregnant because of the way her belly looks. I grew up with cats and she's one of the friendliest I've ever seen! It seems when I call her, she comes from the garage, so I've made a "nest" of old...

View more questions Search