Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    veeters07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 04:23 PM
    Giving up rights
    Can a father give up his rights to avoid child support?
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 04:24 PM
    Nope... not unless there is a step-father willing to adopt the child.
    I_appreciate_him Posts: 11, Reputation: -1

Nov 5, 2007, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by veeters07
    can a father give up his rights to avoid child support?

Yeah only if the mother agrees to it...
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 04:59 PM
    Firstly... you cannot just "choose" to sign over your rights... the mother would have to be in agreement with this... and even then, if there is no one waiting to adopt the child, that would only exclude you from having any physical involvement with the child... you would still be responsible for child support unless at some time (with or without your rights) the mother wants to stop child support for some reason... but if she were to ever go on public assistance, you will be sought out to pay child support.

If you haven't read this already... he is a link (and there are many many more) that may answer some of your questions, as this is asked often.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...st-116098.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Giving up rights. [ 6 Answers ]

Ok.. this is the deal.. my boyfriend and I have been dating off and on for 5 years in October.. when we were 2 years into our relationship the only other girl he has ever been with got pregnant.. (we were not together at the time).. well at first both were like we don't want this kid.. she took the...

Giving up rights [ 7 Answers ]

I have been paying child support for 3 years for my son. The judge ordered that I had visitation rights every other weekend. She won't let me see him every other weekend and she will only let me see him when she is willing been to court a lot of times and still nothing. So I have came up with...

Giving up rights [ 3 Answers ]

The mother of my child has been very unfair with me, my question is if I relinquish my rights from my son, do I still pay support?

Giving up parental rights [ 6 Answers ]

My son pays child support, which is taken out of his check each week, but he has not been allowed to see his 8 year old daughter for several months now. I am sure that when the court ordered the child support, visitation was included. He has been separated from his wife for roughly 5 years, and it...

Giving up his rights? [ 12 Answers ]

If my ex husband wants to give up his rights to my daughter does someone have to be there to take over his rights or not?? He has not been in her life at all and she is only 18 months old. He wants to give up his rights but not to my soon to be husband unless he has to, so I am trying to find out...

View more questions Search