Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JaLu Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2007, 09:34 PM
    OSB or plywood -- which the better deal
    I have had a 24 x 40' "pole barn" built. Actually a Wick building. But about the same as Astro or Cleary or Morton. It's un-insulated -- just a "tin skin" outside of a few 2x6's that are between the "poles"... which are actually three 2x6's joined together.

I want to put a plywood (or OSB) "inside wall" between the poles (which are on 8 foot centers) as a protector from bumping (and denting) the metal as I work and park equipment and such.

I MAY go up a full 48" ... but might rip the 4x8' sheets to 39 or 40".

THE QUESTION: whether to use OSB or plywood -- which is the better deal?

I know there are different thicknesses -- like up to 3/4 or 7/8 or even a full inch (?).

It seems like OSB is a little cheaper -- is it as strong as ply? As impact resistant ?

Looks don't matter -- knot holes and such don't matter -- it better be dry inside, so there's no need for any exterior grade.

Any opinions? Thanks. J
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2007, 10:25 PM
    Jalu- Yes osb is cheaper then plywood. It is preety strong as plywood , but which ever you use , unless you put down a curb to be a stopping spot, pulling up and hiting the plywood or the osb , you will bust , which ever one you use. IF it was me I'd go with the osb . Unless you keep heat inside all the time ,( NO MATTER YOU WILL STILL HAVE A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF MOSTUIRE< INSIDE::::::: THE SHINNY SIDE <ON OSB FACES THE WEATHER::: GOOD LUCK . F > B. E.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Nov 6, 2007, 08:17 PM
    I preferr osb over plywood, I've found it better to work with, plywood that I've used always seemed to have a bow in it, which made it harder to nail up, osb stays farily straight
    It is also cheaper, most homes are built with osb

Nov 8, 2007, 09:19 PM
    Glavine, Thanks much. Is OSB equally "impact resistant" ? I'm sure not PLANNING to, but if a kid smacked each with a ball-bat, or threw a brick, would the OSB -- having the "smaller pieces of wood" be more likely to get a hole? Or is the glue and the "oriented strand" stuff make it even tougher than ply?

Thanks. JaLu
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2007, 09:16 PM
    Plywood is just oposing layers of laminated wood.

OSB as you can see, is "oriented" chipboard,pressed and a lot more adhesives involved.

Both have advantages, and disadvantages,but, I would agree with FBE and glavine, OSB is the best for what your interested in doing.

If your concerned with the possible damage due to a machine/ball bat,, etc, add studding throughout the area where your going to install this paneling, it will keep the board stiffer and more resistant to abuse.

Ken

Nov 9, 2007, 11:05 PM
    Comment on KBC's post
    Makes sense. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Osb board and tyvex [ 8 Answers ]

I am planning to build in SC and want to know if I should have the builder wrap the house with tyvex with the use of osb board? Art

Protecting OSB [ 4 Answers ]

After framing, roofing, and putting up OSB, how long is it safe to leave standing, open to the weather, before covering with Tyvek?

OSB repair [ 1 Answers ]

An outside faucet leaked for some time inside the exterior wall before it was noticed. Now on investigating I find the OSB sheathing to be rotting in this area. The outside wall is synthetic stucco and interior wall cedar. My access to the area in question is a 14" x 14" access panel and 3" along...

OSB used in construction [ 8 Answers ]

Can I use this type of board for walls and roof and floors for my shed if I intend to cover the exterior in sheetmetal?. if so, should I paint all of the OS.. just in case it rains while I'm building?. this is going to be a 1 man job so its going to take me awhile.. thanks for any help

View more questions Search