Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2007, 11:21 PM
    Baking Cookies
    What are other materials that you might use, other than an aluminum cookie sheet, to bake cookies? I am a cooking and baking novice mainly. But, when I do it, I really get into it and love it! :)
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2007, 11:25 PM
    Wax paper is helpful :)
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2007, 11:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaeTrue
    Wax paper is helpful :)
    Dear Kae,

Thank you for your answer! Do you mean using wax paper in the oven? I know that I have heard of using wax paper, but what to you put it on? I always have to look this stuff up because I have trouble remembering about how to do it since I don't do it all that often. It is nice to be able to discuss these things with "live" sources of information! Thank you! :)
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2007, 12:18 AM
    My favourite cookies are cocoa, oatmeal and coconut. I mix the ingredients, heat them in a pot on the stove (double boiler preferably, but not necessary), then drop them by spoonfuls onto waxed paper. They are awesome and I never burn myself! :D

Sometimes I use a pizza pan and make one giant chocolate chip with nuts (and sometimes marshmallows) cookie. When I used to babysit I would tell the kids we were having pizzas for lunch and they would get so excited because they knew that one of them was my famous giant chocolate chip cookie with secret messages on top (done with the marshmallows or with a thin chocolate icing printing)!

Hugs, Didi
    wackymb Posts: 83, Reputation: 3

Nov 4, 2007, 12:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by grammadidi
    My favourite cookies are cocoa, oatmeal and coconut. I mix the ingredients, heat them in a pot on the stove (double boiler preferably, but not necessary), then drop them by spoonfuls onto waxed paper. They are awesome and I never burn myself! :D

Sometimes I use a pizza pan and make one giant chocolate chip with nuts (and sometimes marshmallows) cookie. When I used to babysit I would tell the kids we were having pizzas for lunch and they would get so excited because they knew that one of them was my famous giant chocolate chip cookie with secret messages on top (done with the marshmallows or with a thin chocolate icing printing)!

Hugs, Didi
    Wow!! I didn't know that you can do that. I'm going to try that next time I make cookies. I made Banana cookies earlier. I didn't even know there was a banana cookie until I found the recipe in one of my son's Highlights book. And they taste pretty good to.
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 12:31 AM
    Originally posted by grammadidi My favourite cookies are cocoa, oatmeal and coconut. I mix the ingredients, heat them in a pot on the stove (double boiler preferably, but not necessary), then drop them by spoonfuls onto waxed paper. They are awesome and I never burn myself!

Hugs, Didi
    How did you do "secret" messages? What made them so secret, please? Actually, this kind of subject may be best left to some other types of threads that I am going to start as we approach the major holiday seasons of various faiths. I usually host the neighborhood Christmas party at my home. I will be looking for good suggestions from this site concerning certain things. But, since you have offered and I have asked, I don't see the harm in discussing about your cookies here.

I am still wondering about the use of the waxed paper, though? :confused:
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 12:32 AM
    I just baked the cookies in what I think is a rectangular pizza pan. But, I'm not really sure...
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2007, 12:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wackymb
    Wow!!!! I didn't know that you can do that. I'm going to try that next time I make cookies. I made Banana cookies earlier. I didn't even know there was a banana cookie til I found the recipe in one of my son's Highlights book. And they taste pretty good to.
    Okay, here you go... don't tell my mom I gave you this recipe! :D

Chocolate Coconut Cookies

Bring to boil the following ingredients:

2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup milk

After boiled, add to 3 cups rolled oats, 1 cup of coconut, 5 tablespoons of cocoa, a pinch of salt and a dash of vanilla.

Once mixed, drop onto waxed paper and chill.

Enjoy!

Hugs, Didi
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2007, 12:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    How did you do "secret" messages? What made them so secret, please? Actually, this kind of subject may be best left to some other types of threads that I am going to start as we approach the major holiday seasons of various faiths. I usually host the neighborhood Christmas party at my home. I will be looking for good suggestions from this site concerning certain things. But, since you have offered and I have asked, I don't see the harm in discussing about your cookies here.

I am still wondering about the use of the waxed paper, though? :confused:
    Secret messages were just little things I wrote to the kids with chocolate icing that I piped on, just like you would pipe "Happy Birthday" onto a cake. I would do silly little games with them, usually to encourage them to read. They could be jokes, or clues to finding a new toy or activity. With the younger children I would make shapes, 3 letter words or simple math questions with the marshmallows and if they guessed them, they could have that piece of the pizza! :D You have to make learning fun, you know!

Hugs, Didi
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 01:15 AM
    Secret messages were just little things I wrote to the kids with chocolate icing that I piped on, just like you would pipe "Happy Birthday" onto a cake. I would do silly little games with them, usually to encourage them to read. They could be jokes, or clues to finding a new toy or activity. With the younger children I would make shapes, 3 letter words or simple math questions with the marshmallows and if they guessed them, they could have that piece of the pizza! :D You have to make learning fun, you know!

Hugs, Didi
    Incredibly creative as you usually are, Didi!
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Nov 4, 2007, 06:42 AM
    I use a baking stone. Mine is from pampered chef, but you can buy them at wally world. They are great not only for cookies, but you can use it for pizzas or biscuits too. I have been making a lot of cookies lately. The more you bake on it... the more it "seasons"(turns black) and the better it cooks. LOVE IT!!
    Lazy cookies:

2eggs
    1/4 c oil
    1 box cake mix -duncan hines or like
    (optional) add choc morsels or whatever flavor you want
    Mix all... drop spoonful on stone... bake 350 about 10 minutes

Makes about 3 doz
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2007, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Dear Kae,

Thank you for your answer! Do you mean using wax paper in the oven? I know that I have heard of using wax paper, but what to you put it on? I always have to look this stuff up because I have trouble remembering about how to do it since I don't do it all that often. It is nice to be able to discuss these things with "live" sources of information! Thank you! :)
    Oh no deary... don't put it in the oven:D
    I'm sorry for not explaining better. I use wax paper to place the cookies on after they are cooked so that they don't stick while they are cooling.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Nov 4, 2007, 11:03 AM
    Okay, here you go.... don't tell my mom I gave you this recipe! :D

Chocolate Coconut Cookies

Bring to boil the following ingredients:

2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup milk

After boiled, add to 3 cups rolled oats, 1 cup of coconut, 5 tablespoons of cocoa, a pinch of salt and a dash of vanilla.

Once mixed, drop onto waxed paper and chill.

Enjoy!

Hugs, Didi
    My recipe is almost the same. I add the butter after the milk and sugar are boiled, but before anything else. 1 Tablespoon of cocoa instead of 5, no salt, 1/2 cup of cornflakes, and 1/2 cup of peanut butter.

The peanut butter makes them AWESOME.
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Comments on this post N0help4u agrees: also use the wax paper before baking to roll them and chill them then you can cut them like the ready made store bought
    nohelp4u, that is an awesome trick... I'll be trying that one for sure:D

Also Clough, I'm no betty crocker and I like to burn things, so I bought an insulated cookie baking sheet... works like a charm:)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 11:17 AM
    I am a terrible cookie maker but I noticed that it is best to use butter and only sift the flour if the directions say to. Also chilling in the wax paper before they are baked seems to help. Don't leave them in longer than the recipe says even if they look like they need another minute.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2007, 01:50 PM
    Parchment paper is usually sold by the baking goods or sometimes where you get foil or plastic wraps, also works well for making cookies on, less mess to clean.
    Here's a good recipe for kids, Chocolate Ice cream cookies sandwiches:
    2 cups all purpose flour
    1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1 cup unsweetened butter
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup granulated sugar
    3 large eggs
    2 1/2 tbsp. vanilla extract
    4 1/2 pints Ice cream

Preheat oven 350 degrees
    Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt, baking soda, in a bowl
    In another bowl with mixer on medium, beat butterm gradually add sugars until lite, about 5 minutes.
    Beat in eggs and vanilla, Beat in 1/2 the flour, stir in remaining flour till blended.
    Grease baking sheet, and drop by heaping tbsp. 3 inches apart. Bake 12-14 minutes till golden. Let cool.
    Just before serving let Ice Cream soften, Takes about 30 minutes in fridge, when slightly soft, place a good amount on a cookie and top, with another cookie!! Can be kept in freezer for a short amount of time if too soft.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 4, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Here's my version of Didi's recipe --

Fudgies

Add together in pot and bring to boil the following ingredients:
    2 cups sugar
    1 stick butter
    1/4 cup cocoa
    1/2 cup milk

Allow a rolling boil for 1.5 minutes. Turn off heat. Add 1/4 cup (or more) peanut butter, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and 3 cups quick rolled oats.

Once mixed thoroughly, drop onto waxed paper and let cool. (If mixture gets too dried out while putting out onto waxed paper, add 1/4 or more teaspoon water and mix again.)

For variation, add 1/4 (or more) cup of raisins or coconut or dried cherry bits, etc. in whatever combination you wish.

Macaroons, meringues, and other cookies are baked on parchment paper on cookie sheets.

Some cookie recipes (chocolate chip!) work well not only as individual cookies but also baked in a 9"x13" pan.

If I don't feel like getting out my baked cookie cooling racks, I will pull out of the recycling bin a section of newspaper and lay waxed paper over it, then placed hot cookies there to cool.

Sometimes the cookie dough tastes better than the baked cookies.
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 10:23 PM

Hugs, Didi
    So, are you saying that the heating process for the cookies is done in a pot on the stove and then the way the cookies are then finished is by letting them dry on the waxed paper?

Also, why is a double boiler preferable? About all the double boiling that I do involves the heating up lacquer when I do refinishing. :)
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 10:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rpg219
    I use a baking stone. Mine is from pampered chef, but you can buy them at wally world. They are great not only for cookies, but you can use it for pizzas or biscuits too. I have been making alot of cookies lately. The more you bake on it...the more it "seasons"(turns black) and the better it cooks. LOVE IT!!!
    Lazy cookies:

2eggs
    1/4 c oil
    mix all..... drop spoonful on stone...bake 350 about 10 mins

makes about 3 doz
    Is this baking stone an actual stone, or some sort of man made material?
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 10:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rpg219
    I use a baking stone. Mine is from pampered chef, but you can buy them at wally world. They are great not only for cookies, but you can use it for pizzas or biscuits too. I have been making alot of cookies lately. The more you bake on it...the more it "seasons"(turns black) and the better it cooks. LOVE IT!!!
    Lazy cookies:

2eggs
    1/4 c oil
    mix all..... drop spoonful on stone...bake 350 about 10 mins

makes about 3 doz
    So, is this baking stone something that must be maintained in a similar way as cast iron skillets are, as was discussed on the following thread?

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/food-d...ts-142025.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ratio of baking soda/baking powder to plainf flour [ 2 Answers ]

I have an Australian cookie recipe that calls for self raising flour and I do not have any.. what ratio of baking powder should I add to the regular flour to make it "self raising' Many thanks

Is there a way to track my ow cookies? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a business and I know someone is deleting the history. I know you can't view a deleted history but is there a way to track your own computers history to view where the computer has been recently? Thanks

Biscotti baking [ 1 Answers ]

How can I prevent cracking on top of the loaf when making biscotti?

Baking cakes [ 3 Answers ]

What makes a cake rise?

Cookies [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a page where I can find out who owns the cookies that keep appearing when I do scan?? Toydajo

View more questions Search