Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2007, 05:30 AM
    The Dufus in Chief
    Hello:

Thank goodness for George W. Bush. He's a wonderful man. He did a good thing. I changed my mind about him. I will forever be a supporter.

He's actually NOT wonderful, but what happened WAS wonderful. And this wonderful thing didn't happen because George DID something wonderful either. No, this wonderful thing happened because he's a dufus - and because of the law of unintended consequences.

Nope, this law and order conservative - this lock 'em up guy - this guy who never saw a man on death row that shouldn't be killed - this guy, YOUR GUY, will go down in history as the guy who ended the draconian sentencing laws his base spent the last 20 years building up. (snicker, snicker)

And, he accomplished this wonderful bit of LIBERAL politics, when he commuted the Scooterdude and uttered the words, “the sentence is excessive”, which of course, it was.

I told you then that a sea change was coming. The first wave of this tsunami has arrived. To wit: Crack cocaine offenders will receive shorter prison sentences under more lenient federal sentencing guidelines that went into effect yesterday. You wouldn't think that this kind of thing would be happening under this administration. And, it wouldn't be either, if George had kept his mouth shut. But he started this conversation, his administration is having it, and I'm loving it.

Three cheers for the dufus in chief. Bwa, ha ha ha ha.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 05:44 AM
    I may be wrong ,but I always thought that the Sentencing Commission reported to Congress and makes their recommendations to Congress.Also the Libby sentence was in June and the Commission made their recommendations to Congress in April .

Edit . The way I read it the Commission's biggest concern was the racial disparity in the justice system.
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2007, 06:03 AM
    Hello tom:

That's the spin, of course. But why are they so concerned NOW? Congress too, could have stopped these guidelines from going into effect, like they did in 1995, but they didn't this time.

Nope, the conversation has begun. It's actually growing. Do you know that the state of Mo has stopped sending children offenders to adult court?? And, other states are considering adopting the same thing??

That kind of notion was unheard of over the last 20 years. If anything, the conversation was the opposite. And, there's more, much more. I can feel it in the air.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 06:07 AM
    Congress changed parties in 2007 . The real issue is whites use powder coke and minorities more often use crack. But the sentencing for crack was harsher. This just brings the sentences closer .

I agree mandatory sentencing should be reviewed anyway. But the real reason it is being reconsidered is not the Libby trial but the cost of housing convicts .
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Nov 2, 2007, 08:33 AM
    I'm not quite sure what the Scooter Libby case has to do with drug sentencing. Until now, I have never heard anyone try to equate the two. I must be missing something, because I don't see any connection.

How does the commutation of Libby's sentence, which was done to allow Libby to stay out of prison during the appeals process, equate to supporting more lenient sentencing for drug offenders?

Furthermore, what does an action taken by Bush with regard to Libby have to do with an action taken by Congress regarding drug sentencing rules?

I don't see the connection.

Elliot
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2007, 08:43 AM
    Hello El:

In between the time a leader signals a change, and the law actually GET'S changed, a conversation happens. If you listen carefully, that conversation is happening. Go George!

excon
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Nov 2, 2007, 08:48 AM
    I'm listening, and frankly all I hear is your commentary on the issue. I don't hear of any conversation taking place on the Hill.

Elliot
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine
    I'm listening, and frankly all I hear is your commentary on the issue.
    Hello again, El:

It is true. I'm able to spot things going on around me that others aren't. I'm soooo ahead of the curve here. Keep listening - you'll hear it.

excon
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 09:30 AM
    Ex, the Sentencing Commission, a rather diverse group of Reagan, Clinton, Bush appointees and others, submitted these guidelines to congress in May.

Interestingly enough, it was Clinton that refused to go along with equalizing crack and powder cocaine sentences and preached "the war on crime" in both presidential campaigns. Under Clinton, federal prisoners rose to 147,126, from 80,259 under Bush and 24,363 under Reagan. The rate of federal prisoners more than doubled from 17 per 100,000 under Reagan to 42 per 100,000 under Clinton, all according to statistics compiled by the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice. Just thought you should know...

Anyway, something needs to be done. I don't get a disparity in sentencing between crack and powder cocaine and I'm sure there are plenty of inmates that don't need to be incarcerated. I believe there are 119 state prisons in Texas, and as I understand it a proposition on the ballot next week disguised as money for state parks and facilities for the disabled, has money for 3 new prisons set aside. Enough already, I'm not in favor of building even more prisons to warehouse every drug user and other minor miscreant that gets busted. I don't know the answers, but there has to be one besides more and more prisons.

Steve

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

14 hp lawn chief [ 1 Answers ]

How do you replace the mower deck belt, I have the belt but can't seem to rout it through the pulleys correctly Thanks Ralph

Lawn Chief [ 2 Answers ]

My mower blades engage when the cutting deck is lowered, it runs fine as long as I cut high, but if I lower it to low it starts to cut out even on the driveway. What could it be?

Lawn chief [ 3 Answers ]

We have a lawn chief 440 riding lawnmower and I do not have the owners manual and the person we bought it from has changed the seat so I can not get the model # all that I know is that it was built in 1992 and it says it is a 440 12.5 I/c 39 I hope that there is a way you can help me get a copy...

Lawn chief 12/39 [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a lawn chief 12/39 used.The problem I am having is it starts very hard and I usually have to jump start it.When I do get it started.I can drive around all day without problems and it can also sit idle with the mower running but when both are engaged it stalls.It has a 12hp briggs engine in...

View more questions Search