Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AReed Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2007, 04:49 PM
    Fire rated recessed light covers
    I am installing Halo 4" and 6" can lights (IC) and the electrician that I am working with says that we must use UL 2 hr fire rated light covers FF109-300 Tenmat brand.

First the lights are enclosed steel boxes. Does this mean that it is unecc to use the covers? Second This seems to be the only brand and item for this purpose. Are there any competetive brands and items? This item costs about 42$US a piece from the only supplier in my area (New Jersey) that handles the item. Is there anyplace that I can go for better pricing?

Also the work is being done with a combination of sweat equity (I have laid cable and boxes) and electrician. The house is a two family. The permits were pulled for the whole house. But the inspections are occurring in steps as work is completed. The house existing wiring is a combination knob and tube, BX, Romex and 14/2. The wiring is so old the insulation crumbles and wire so brittle any movement cause shorts. That's why we are replacing asap.

So to sum up.

1. is there an absolute need to use these covers?
    2. Are there cometitors for the brand?
    3. Is there another source to buy them from?

Thanks.
    Al
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2007, 02:57 AM
    These covers I assume are required by your local inspector for your type of building If there is any question if they are needed, best to ask the local inspector to be sure.

Do a Google search for fire rated light covers, and you will come up with a few choices.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recessed Light and Air Duct [ 2 Answers ]

I recently started a project to install recessed light in my family room. Everything was checked and planned. All holes were cut and align properly... until the last hole. It appear that I have an air duct running right on top it. It's big and it has black plastic wrap enclosure. One of...

Recessed light installation [ 1 Answers ]

I posted a message here several weeks ago about a contractor who simply stapled the Bx cable for recessed lights to the bottom of the joist rather than running it through the joist (1st floor of 2 story home). The electrician has finally agreed to come back after much prodding and redo the work...

Can you actually bury IC rated recessed lighting in blown insulation? [ 1 Answers ]

My Lithonia Lighting L7X IC rated recessed housings spec sheet says approved for direct burial in insulation. OK, I can read, but do you guys really believe I can bury them in over a foot of blown flame retardant cellulose or blown fiberglass? If not a fire hazard, do you think the lights will...

Recessed light in shower, GFI? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there. I I want to put a recessed light above my shower, does it need to be gfi protected? If so, what is the easiest way to do this, since it can't be on the bathrooms regular light circuit. I was thinking switchleg out of the bathroom gfi receptacle? Also, my panel is on the opposite...

View more questions Search