Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 03:41 PM
    Vomitting chihuahua
    My in laws dog is almost 1 year old. She has had all of her shots.
    Yesterday she was given a couple of bites of hot dog.
    Last night after 10 p.m she woke up and threw up food. Awhile later she threw up about a tablespoon of white frothy foam, then later she threw up a small amount of bile.
    Today she has not drunk any water. My mother in law has not given her any food. But she has provided water for her but she did not want any.
    My question is will it be OK to wait until tomorrow and take her to the vet or should I take her tonight... office hours are until 10 p.m. by the way she is not playing or happy to see visitors. In law had grandchildren over today and failed to notice if she is peeing. She also made the mistake of hovering over her and trying to make her drink water. She wants me to come over with a syringe and force water in her, which I am not sure if this is a good idea:eek: at this point. I am thinking that the hot dog made her ill as she is not used to eating people food.
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 03:56 PM
    I don't have any professional advice to give but if I were in this position I'd give the vet a call right away and explain all of this to he/she. Good luck with the pup... I'm sure labman and ruby will have a bit more advice for yah!
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 04:00 PM
    Duh, I should have thouhgt about that I will call right now.
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 04:08 PM
    Yay good!! Hopefully it is nothing too serious!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2007, 05:08 PM
    If you can get a office visit in tonight at regular rates, I would do it. You know I am absolutely opposed to giving a dog human food, but I can't see a couple of bites of hot dog upsetting its stomach that much.
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 05:20 PM
    I tried calling the vet, but kept getting put on hold. They must be super busy. m-law called about 15 minutes ago. Crickett awoke from her nap and drank some water and seems to be holding it down. She allso peed. I am taking her in tomorrow, just to be on the safe side. Unless she starts vomitting again tonight. While on hold I found out that they are now open till 11 p.m. so we have some time to see how it goes. It will not be an extra charge as this is part of their normal hours.
    M law says she just absently minded handed her the piece of hot dog she insist that she is more fragile than most dogs, because she was thrown on a porch to fend for herself when she was small. Will update tomorrow.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 05:42 AM
    Sorry I didn't see this sooner bushg. I agree with labman in that I don't think a small piece of hot dog would make her this ill. But, anything is possible. Maybe she ate something else that one of the kids gave to her and your MIL didn't notice? Let us know what the vet says and how she is doing.
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Crickett continued to drink last night and pee. She even woke up at for a.m. and went potty.
    This morning she had more water and peed and ate a little of her food. She was not totally up to her normal lively self. So we took her in.
    The vet said that it must have been the hot dog, seems as if the son that lives upstairs also gave her a bite of hot dog, which probably between mil's bite and bil's bite turned into a whole dog, too much for a 6 pound dog. He said hot dog's were one of the WORST things they can be given... choking factor and too greasy. Esp as MIL says a very fragile dog. Lol this makes me laugh cause she can be a little terror, but MIL say she is so fragile, unlike other dogs.
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 08:50 AM
    I'm very glad to hear that little Crickett is okay. I have a little chihuahua as well and while she may look fragile she is beastly, haha! Anyway, I'm glad all is well!
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 09:03 AM
    Ahhh that is just too cute bushg!! Sounds like little crickett is doing her a lot of good :) Dogs are good at that!
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 11:01 AM
    Glad to hear she is okay. Your MIL sounds like hoot!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My cat is vomitting! [ 1 Answers ]

Help! My 7 year old cat Ginger, indoor, big, orange tabby, and otherwise healthy - has been with chronic vomitting for about 5 years. I have tried many many fantastic alternative type healthy foods - nearly every single brand of holistic cat food - Fromm, Merrick, Canidae, Wellness,etc.etc.(too...

Vomitting cat [ 1 Answers ]

My 8 yr old spayed female cat is vomiting ,it appears to be a almost clear with orangy specks in it she has never had any health issues before . She seems not want to eat today yet as she usually meets me at the spot where I FEED HER EVERY MORNING BUT TODAY SHE HAS NO Interest IN EATTING IT SEEMS...

Vomitting puppy. [ 14 Answers ]

My puppy is 4 months old or so and he's starting to puke. He's been sick for about a day. Then after got well, I didn't take him to a vet yet. Later on he got even better all normal. Until today when we woke up. Diarrhea and vomits. The vomit had some red stuff, which seemed to look like blood...

Cat keeps vomitting [ 1 Answers ]

My cat is 7 years old. Last 6 days she keeps vomitting she has been seen by pdsa. Gave her some tablets. Nothing working.can any one help please.

Vomitting in cats [ 1 Answers ]

My cat had renal failure but has seemed happy and social otherwise. Recently he has begun vomitting regularly. He is not vomitting up food-I have tried a couple different brands-just fluid. The fluid is mostly clear and does not seem to have an odor to it but my husband is becoming very aggrivated....

View more questions Search