Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MCombs1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Electrical Outlet Wiring
    I have an regular outlet (not GFCI), spilled water making coffee, had the breaker kick off, replaced the breaker and regular outlet; tried a GFCI outlet; when I reset the gfci outlet the breaker still kicks off; any suggestions?
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Nov 1, 2007, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MCombs1
    any suggestions?
    I'd suggest you add proper punctuation as this is difficult to read :) So you spilled water and tripped a breaker. Then you replaced the receptacle with a GFI... but the breaker still trips when you reset the GFI?

First, spilling water should not trip a breaker unless it splashes into the receptacle. That is very unusual - can you be more specific about where everything (including the water) was? It sounds like there is something potentially dangerous with your existing wiring.

I assume this was in the kitchen? Can you please be more specific about the exact wiring at the GFI. Look carefully at the colours of the wire, and whether they are connected to 'line' or 'load' terminals & the hot or neutral terminals. I also wonder if you had a split receptacle and are now trying to connect both phases to one terminal in the GFI.

(sidebar question: do you guys in the US require split receptacles in the residential kitchen? Canadian code just changed last year to T-slot from split).
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 1, 2007, 02:08 PM
    "replaced the breaker and regular outlet;" Why did you replace the breaker? It seemed to be doing its job just fine. RTW is correct, we both think you may have wired the GFI incorrectly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical outlet [ 5 Answers ]

I want to fix the faulty wiring in the electrical outlets in my house. I know nothing about how things work. I would like to try to fix it if it is possible. It is an old house . The out lets work but when I use a APC surge protector bar the red button comes on which means faulty wiring . So I am...

Wiring electrical outlet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 50 amp breaker on a 220v outlet that I plug my RV into, I'd like to install a 110v receptical next to it, getting my power from it. How do I go about this? Thanks

Electrical Outlet [ 2 Answers ]

My Electrical Outlet Is Not Working. I Have Checked The Breaker Box. What Could Be The Problem?

Electrical Outlet replacement [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing a GFI electrical outlet that went out in the back of our house. It is hooked up on the line to the outlets in our garage. I am using a Sperry Instruments three pronged electrical circuit tester to test the outlets. The GFI that I replaced is now working properly based on the...

Electrical outlet outage [ 2 Answers ]

While watching TV last night the outlet went dead. It may have been overloaded. However, when I tested the outlet, the checker indicated that the Hot and ground were reversed. The circuit breaker looks good and I reset it for good measure. How do I go about solving this problem? Thanks, Lloyd.

View more questions Search