Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lschoeggl Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Nov 1, 2007, 09:18 AM
    Calcium supplements taken with milk
    Can I take calcium supplements with a glass of milk and still expect good absorption?

My husband read somewhere that taking both at the same time prevents full absorption. I have since tried to do a web search and haven't found much info on that. One university health website even recommended taking it WITH milk in order to boost absorption.

I've only ever heard each opinion once, so now I'm not really sure what to believe. I prefer to take them with milk if possible but I am worried about getting peak absorption since there is a strong history of osteoporosis in my family.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2007, 09:44 AM
    For the best way to boost absorption
    Take magnesium and Vitamin D and get plenty of fiber.
    If you take a calcium supplement of 1,000 mg your magnesium should be 500 to 600 mg
    Magnesium is essential for absorption otherwise you could end up with deposits that result in stones and/or spurs.
    It is best to take supplements in gel capsules, powder or liquid form often the pills do not dissolve.
    I don't think it really matters if you take it with milk or not. I take my calcium, magnesium, potassium and D before
    I go to bed because it keeps me from having restless leg syndrome and leg cramps.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 10:13 AM
    Taking Vitamin C with calcium supplements also helps with the absorptions (or actual fruit),
    Take smaller doses of the calcium throughout the day rather then all at once, not all calcium you eat is absorbed by your body. The best ones are calcium carbonate (Tums and caltrate) but these needs a acidic environment in order to be absorbed (Vit. c) And calcium citrate (citracell and solgar) but these should be taken on an empty stomach. Also try and choose a supplement that has USP written on the label this means that supplement meets the standards for breakdown of a supplement. While taking calcium supplements avoid soft drinks.
    Herblay Posts: 9, Reputation: 4

Dec 4, 2007, 03:39 PM
    You might want to look into other calcium sources.

Leafy green vegetables are a MUCH higher source of calcium than dairy, and they're more absorbable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calcium supplements [ 1 Answers ]

Lately, I've heard a Calcium commercial that states a Calcium supplement must contain phospherus in order for the Calcuim to be beneficial to one's body. According to my MD and, everything else I've ever read regarding this topic, only Vitamin D need be present for proper asorption. I would like...

What do you think about supplements [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for more then 6 months now. I know that it takes time and all that. But I was wondering if there were some safe supplements that I could be taking to increase my fertility. I already take a daily vitamin and iron supplement as well. Thanks!

Which milk rottens faster soy milk or cow milk and why [ 1 Answers ]

Which milk rottens faster soy milk or cow milk and why?

Supplements [ 1 Answers ]

What are the adverse side effects of NO2 (arginine alpha ketoglutarate) ?

View more questions Search