Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    David James Rinaldo Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Oct 30, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Using wasted energy to generate electricity
    I've got a 36 foot tall vertical tower with a chain drive going around it, which chain drive has large scoops attached to it, and the scoops are all spaced 6 feet apart from each other going all the way around the chain drive. On the descending side of the tower all the scoops are loaded with weight (rock) at the top, and they slowly descend down to another level at the bottom of the tower, where the scoops are dumped into trucks. The total descending weight is a constant 30 ton, which is held to a slow descent by geared resistance (no motor needed to run the tower chain drive). It is constantly moving, and dumping one load every six minutes while another scoop at the top is simultaneously being loaded. I'd like to use the constant gravitational moving force from the tower to generate free electricity by maybe gearing a drive shaft to the chain drive, and instead of using gears to give resistance to the gravity power produced, use a generator to cause the required resistance and thereby keep the unit running at its present speed. I don't know enough to figure out how much torque and/or horsepower could be harnessed by gearing up the 30 ton of force/torque/low rpm from the tower to a generator. I know it may sound impractical but, I need some basic information on roughly how much electrical power might be generated from the 30 ton of constant gravitational force of such a unit.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 30, 2007, 10:01 AM
    Here's a rough calculation - tell me whether the assumptions I've made are correct.

First, I am converting everything to metric units, because they are so much easier to work with.

You have 6 scoops descending simultaneously, and the total weight in all 6 scoops is 30 tons. That's about 27,000 Kg.

The distance any one scoop descends is 36 feet - call it 11 meters.

The speed that they descend at is 36 feet/36 min, or 0.005 meters/sec.

The power that this mechanism could conceivable generate is , which works out to 1,345 watts. Since no generator is 100% efficient, and there are probably some significant frictional losses in your mechanism, I would bet that the practical energy production would be no more than a couple of hundred watts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potential Energy- Bonding Energy [ 1 Answers ]

Question: The net potential energy between two ions (e.g. Na+ andCl-) can be Represented as follows: EN =EA+ER = -A/r +B/rn (a) Calculate the bonding energy E0 in terms of the A, B, and n ...

Portable generator doesn't generate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small gas portable generator that sat idle in the barn for several years. I have cleaned out the carberator and the engine runs fine. The problem is it is only producing 5 volts of electricity. What may be the problem?

4 months wasted? [ 5 Answers ]

I have been going out with my first boyfriend for just over 4 months now and everything was going great-until yesterday. He had just got back from an amazing holiday apparently so I hadn't seen him in 1 week and had been really missing him. He rang me the day after he got back asking whether I...

Generate income [ 3 Answers ]

:-/I would like to know if and how sites such as the search engine IXQUICK.COM and napster and other sites that DO NOT have advertising on them generate money. A friend and I speculate that maybe Internet Service Providers pay them a certain amount of money for traffic that they generate, because...

View more questions Search