Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    detroitdiesel Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Nov 8, 2005, 07:49 AM
    15 amp breaker
    Rewiring my kitchen, I have refrigerator, stove with electronic ignition, exhaust hood, and a microwave, and a duplex plug. Wondering if too much power for 15 amp breaker.

Thanks for any info.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2005, 08:20 AM
    If it is not tripping, apparently not. If you read the manual for the refrigerator, it will specify a separate a separate circuit for it. It may draw 5 amps or less, but on its own circuit, it is less likely ruin a bunch of food when something else trips the breaker. I have a least 4 circuits in my kitchen, refrigerator, microwave, most of the other outlets, freezer, plus a 240 circuit for the stove.

Unless the circuit is wired up with #12 wire, you can't replace the 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp. More circuits would be a better fix. Can't say if code requires them now.

Nov 8, 2005, 08:24 AM
    I'm using 12/2 with ground. Trying to keep 15amp breaker in panel
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2005, 02:39 PM
    A 15 amp breaker on #12 wire is fine. Not sure why that's what you want thou. I will tell you that the microwave may trip the CB if the frig is on, and should be on its own circuit.

A separate circuit for the frig is not required by code, but is certainly recommended, and, as Labman stated, may be recommended by the manufacturer.

What is required is as follows:

The kitchen counter is required to have at least two 20 amp "appliance" circuits, which may or may not have the frig on one of those circuits. All the counter outlets must be GFI protected, the frig is not required to be GFI protected. (You may if you like, you accept the risk of losing your food.)

Nov 9, 2005, 03:37 AM
    I'm eventually rewring the entire house.
    Should I use 12/2 or14/2 with ground I was assuming 12/2 was fine.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2005, 04:25 AM
    There are applications where 14 is allowed, but 12 is required any place you want a 20 amp breaker. Just buy a big coil of 12 and be done with it. I don't 14 is that much cheaper. If you are doing some 3 way lights you may as well use the cheaper and easier to work with 14-3.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaker License [ 9 Answers ]

I need to find out information on "Breaker License" in the United Kingdom.

Can you use a 15 amp outlet on a 20 AMP breaker with 12-2? [ 13 Answers ]

I have a few questions that I need help on. I recently moved into my home and discovered a few things. 1. 12-2 wire has been ran throughout the house. Can you use a 15 amp outlet on a 20 AMP breaker with 12-2?? 2. How many lights would you say you can run on 12-2 and/or 14-2 wire? 3. How...

Gfi breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I have an outdoor pond. I think that my electrical connection got wet and shorted out. My question is, I changed out all the receptacles on the gfi circuit and only two work. Is it possible that the breaker is bad and does not supply all of the circuits now??

Breaker [ 5 Answers ]

I have low voltage landscape lighting plugged into an outside outlet. The total watts is about 500 and I am using a 600 watt transformer. The outlet is a GFI outlet and has a dedicated 20 amp breaker. Nothing else is on this breaker. Sometimes the breaker will trip. I have replaced the...

Breaker Box? Disherwasher? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello.I need some help... PLEASE. I can not get my disher washer to turn on. I looked at my breaker box, can I change the #5 breaker? Is this allowed? This may sound stupid but I want:eek: to learn. Thank you for your help. : Rhonda

View more questions Search