Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aslade Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2007, 10:48 AM
    Cursing at children, how to talk about it
    I love my daughter-in-law very much. She has her demons. I think we all do. When she feels ill or she's very stressed and tired she will use curse words with the children that makes me cringe. I'd like to talk to her about it, but I don't even know how to start without sounding like a know it all or offended mother-in-law that's interfering. Can someone give me some pointers.

Thank you.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2007, 11:16 AM
    Aslade, unfortunately, if you bring this to her attention, you will probably be starting WWIII with your daughter-in-law. This is something that your son should be discussing with his wife. I suggest you find the time to talk to him alone about this. You must be gentle in your approach. Tell him that we all know that children repeat what their parents teach them, and what comes out of their mouths is always viewed as a reflection of their parents. It is only a matter of time, if it hasn't happened already, that the kids will be using these words around their friends, their teachers, and around their friends parents. This may cause those parents to forbid their children from playing with his children. This will cost their children friendships, and cause everyone great embarrassment. Eventually this may lead to your son and his wife to be viewed by their friends, neighbors and teachers as having poor parenting skills when this happens and you don't want them to be placed in such a position when you know that this is not the case.

Doing it in this manner will not seem confrontational but will show that you care and are concerned about the ramifications it will bring upon them as parents. Then, leave it to him to handle with his wife. If nothing changes, believe me, if she is as good a person as you say she is, there will be one day where the kids will use these curse words in a public place, embarrassing her to pieces, and she will attempt to correct it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Young Justin always cursing [ 3 Answers ]

Young Justin has a cursing problem, and his father’s getting tired of it. He decides to ask a shrink what to do. The shrink says, “Negative reinforcement. Since Christmas is coming up, ask Justin what he wants from Santa. If he curses while he tells you his wish list, leave a pile of dog poop in...

My mother keeps on cursing me [ 5 Answers ]

Hi now before I start let me say that I love my mum a lot but there is this major issue between us. My every morning starts with the same sound of my mum cursing me or someone in the house about some petty little thing. Its seems that she is never happy with the work other people do. It wasn't much...

Children, Step-children, Niece: What a mess! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in desperate need of clarity and advise. I am 41, mother of 2 daughters, 3 step-kids and 1 niece. My 2 daughters 18 and 15 live with me and my husband and so does my husbands niece, 15 also. My 3 step kids are all over 23 with their own places. My husbands niece has been thrown from...

What to talk about [ 5 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I was wondering if you could help me with conversations. I tend to be a more shy person and when I do try to talk to people I don't know what to talk about and then I feel awkward. Im sick of being the "quiet" girl that no one knows. Please help if you can. By the way, I'm in high...

View more questions Search