Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wkharrison5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2007, 11:02 PM
    Sewage smell in bathroom
    I have a 3 level home and smell sewage on the bottom level only. This has been going on and off for a couple of years and I have not been able to solve it. THis is a vacation rental home in another state , so I cannot be there all the time.

Last year, I had the toilet ring replaced and when that did not work, I had the septic tank pumped. The septic tank company said that it looked good and no buildup. Since this I have had several more occasions that this has happened.

A month ago, I was in the home and the smell was horrible. By closing doors and airing out rooms, I finally isolated the smell (I think). It was coming from the lower level bathroom tub (jaccuzi jetted tub). The toilet area smelled fine, the sink smelled fine.

I ran some water in the tub to fill up the P-trap and the problem seemed to go away.

Today, my rental guests complained about the smell. They had been in the home for a day , but when they took showers today the smell started. A plumber was dispatched. He checked connections and traps and found no loose pipes. He ran lots of water and after running the water, the smell came back very strong.

He thinks that there is something wrong with the septic tank. He thinks maybe the pipe from the septic tank to the fill lines is broken or disconnected. He thinks the smell is coming from outside and is being pulled back in the air vents in the homes foundation and coming back up through the floor or openings in the floor. I just don't buy it, but I am no expert. There is a second bath on the same lower level with a shower but no smell in that bathroom. The bathroom that does smell is the closest one to the septic tank. Previous guests say they have smelled the odor after washing clothes in the washer. Any suggestions?
    cissy0801 Posts: 129, Reputation: 6

Oct 28, 2007, 12:05 AM
    I might not be much help but I hope ut does have a little affect.

I have had this problem before and I have to agree that it is so annoying

So what you do is you get a layer of plastic preferably the supermarket ones and then open the sewage pipe. Place the plastic on the entrance then place the lid of the pipe back on.

It did stop my home's smell in Australia but I am not sure if it would help you. Good luck and tell me how you went!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell in bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

Our master bathroom has a strong sewage smell. The bathroom is located on the second floor, and the house is 8 yrs. Old. Our two other bathrooms have no such smell. Thorough cleaning of the toilet, candle-burning, and turning on ventilation, doesn't help. We've lived in the house for about two...

Sewage smell in bathroom [ 9 Answers ]

:eek: Our main bathroom off the master bedroom has a sewage smell coming from the shower. The drain is not clogged, the toilet and sink are fine. No smell from the sink or toilet, seems to be from the shower only. Our house is on septic system and drainfield. No soggy grass around the drainfield...

I recently hired someone to tile my bathroom floors. They ripped out the toilet, tiled, and then resealed the toilet. Now there is a sewage smell that has been lingering for the past few weeks. The guy came and re-sealed the toilet- no luck. There have also been 3 other plumbers that have come...

We have one bathroom in our house used by 4 people. Every once in a while, there is a strong sewage smell. It is intermittent, there is no certain time that it is present. I cannot pinpoint it to a certain drain or area in the bathroom. When the heat comes on, it is VERY strong when it is present...

Sewage Smell from Bathroom? (Maybe floor?) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, The building I live in is a two story, stick built duplex supported with steel under frame resting on concrete pilings. Due to the area I live in we have our water and sewage trucked in and out every two days. The water tank is indoors and the sewage take is buried beneath...

View more questions Search