Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bloodbrothers524 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2007, 04:39 PM
    loss in fire
    Hey, I just had a quick question

If a company purchases a machine for $178k (useful life 6 years, $14,000 salvage value) and it's destroyed in a fire at the end of the 5th year, if the insurance company then pays $30,000 to settle the loss, what would the journal entry/entries look like? I was thinking somewhere along the lines of having the acc. Depreciation and the cost being equal since the book value might be 0? And having a second entry for the insurance claim? Not sure if that's the right line of thinking though...

Thanks
    bloodbrothers524 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2007, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodbrothers524
    Hey, i just had a quick question

If a company purchases a machine for $178k (useful life 6 years, $14,000 salvage value) and it's destroyed in a fire at the end of the 5th year, if the insurance company then pays $30,000 to settle the loss, what would the journal entry/entries look like? I was thinking somewhere along the lines of having the acc. depreciation and the cost being equal since the book value might be 0?? and having a second entry for the insurance claim? not sure if that's the right line of thinking though...

Thanks
    Never mind the question, I was missing the $4000 that came from installation and preparation costs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fire down below [ 20 Answers ]

Finally had sex with this woman that I had been dating for six months. It was well worth the wait. Awesome, next day bumps developed in my pubic hair. I was checked out and was diagnosed with folliculitis. The Dr. said that this was not sexually transmitted, but how else can it be explained.

Fire loss in rental apartment [ 3 Answers ]

My brothers' apartment caught on fire due to a hot water heater, does he have any recourse? He did not have renters insurance but the total loss fire ( no loss of life or pet thank goodness) has left him with nothing.

I'm on fire! [ 7 Answers ]

Ok well I'm not on fire my forehead is.. >!! What do I do if I burned my forehead with my hair straightner but I can't find any aloe!. I NEED HELP SOON!!

Fire [ 3 Answers ]

I had a fire in my apartment on July 27. I didn't have renters insurance. When I applied for the Fire Marshall report it stated that it was inconclusive (they could not determine who's fault it was), now my question is can I sue the management company for compensation of lost items, i.e furniture

View more questions Search