Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    logarithm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Gray hair and beards.
    Hi, I'm 20 years old and my hair is graying somewhat. I can spot about 6 or 7 gray hairs at any given time just by looking at myself in a mirror. Is this a precursor to early hair loss? My dad went bald in his 30s, so I'm getting kind of scared here.

Also, I can't completely grow a beard yet. I've always wanted to try one out, but my facial hair so far won't grow where the handle bars usually go. Is it possible that I might be stuck in facial hair limbo the rest of my life?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2007, 05:38 PM
    Well, gray doesn't mean bald. I know a number of italian guys on my wife's side that started turning gray in their 20's... not to mention the women... who have full heads of hair.

Might you have a genetic disposition for baldness? Well... I'm not an expert here, but I believe most male baldness is passed on from the mother... but I cannot say that you won't have the same thinning your father had... or that you will for that matter...

As for the beard, my experience within my family is that if you can't grow a beard by now, at least one that is roughly filled in, you probably won't. My cousin and I look like cactii when we try. His brother looks completely mr gq with a 8 hour shadow. Sucks.

So... like I said, not an expert here, but ill bet you don't gain a lot in the beard area, you might simply gray some, and you're just going to have to wait on the baldness.
    Tiberius_Gracchus Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2007, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by logarithm
    Hi, I'm 20 years old and my hair is graying somewhat. I can spot about 6 or 7 gray hairs at any given time just by looking at myself in a mirror. Is this a precursor to early hair loss? My dad went bald in his 30s, so I'm getting kind of scared here.

Also, I can't completely grow a beard yet. I've always wanted to try one out, but my facial hair so far won't grow where the handle bars usually go. Is it possible that I might be stuck in facial hair limbo the rest of my life?
    kp2171 is correct... baldness is passed on from the mothers side a good way to determine the future of your hair is by looking at your grandfather on your mothers side (your mothers dad)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gray Hair [ 4 Answers ]

Is it normal for a 19 yr is getting gray hairs?

Returning to gray hair [ 5 Answers ]

I have coloured my hair with a semipermanent dark brown hair colouring. I want to return to my natural hair colour, silver gray. How would I go about doing this? Do I have to just let my hair grow out or can I strip it and colour it gray? Please advise.

Stop coloring gray hair [ 1 Answers ]

What's the best way to stop coloring my hair. I want to let the gray grow in. I am 64, & my natural color (before graying) is dark brown. I wear it short.

White and gray hair [ 1 Answers ]

I Have Quit Coloring My Hair, It Is Now White In Front, Silver Gray And Brown Else Where. Is There A Way To Soften The Color Difference? I Liked The White Until I Saw How Ugly The Gray And Brown Was In A Photo. Really Looked My Age! Judy

Gray hair too much [ 1 Answers ]

I am 57 years old. I have been completely gray for about five years. My hair was originally very dark brown (almost black) and long. I started getting gray in my 20's, so I spent years coloring my hair. I finally decided to let the gray grow out. Now, that it's completely gray, it seems to be...

View more questions Search