Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheitzig Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2005, 11:56 AM
    Shower Drain Removal
    I've read many of the posts on shower drains, but still have a quandry.

I have a brass AB&A shower drain that I'm trying to remove, and can't find the compression nut. I have the ceiling open below, and have already removed the large nut that holds the drain connected to the fiberglass shower bottom, but I can't figure out how to loosen the remaining drain part from the 2" PVC pipe.

I've bought a new drain already-- a brass Oatey replacement drain with a rubber compression fitting around the 2" pipe and a large nut underneath.

Has anyone used the AB&A shower drain, and could give me a hint as to what is holding it onto the 2" pipe, please?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 5, 2005, 12:19 PM
    If the shower drain has a PVC pipe out the bottom then it's glued in the trap raiser. Regards, Tom
    cheitzig Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2005, 01:39 PM
    Shower Drain Removal
    Thanks for the reply!

I'm updating this after getting it removed. On the Wingtite site's documentation, it makes mention of the AG&A drain, and that I need to put some screws in there to pull it out. I did so, and pulled it out (with some effort). It wasn't glued after all (or maybe it was, and I broke the bond). Either way, I got it out.

Another question. The new drain came with a rubber and a paper-like gasket. I've heard differing opinions on where I should put them. My current plan is both of them underneath the fiberglass shower pan (with the rubber one coated with a little liquid soap), and some plumber's putty on top of the shower pan. Make sense?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 5, 2005, 04:15 PM
    "My current plan is both of them underneath the fiberglass shower pan (with the rubber one coated with a little liquid soap), and some plumber's putty on top of the shower pan." Sounds good to me but instead of putty WingTite strongly suggests using silicone jell under the lip, also the rubber "O" ring fits inside the drain to seal the trap raiser. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fiberglass shower drain removal [ 1 Answers ]

All we wanted to do is change our drain from brass to chrome in our fiber glass shower and I'm afaid we have bitten off more than we can chew. The brass drain is glued in with a 2" piece of pvc pipe sticking up in the center. How can we remove the brass drain wtihout damaging the shower or going...

Fiberglass shower/tub removal [ 1 Answers ]

Would like advice/instruction on how to remove a fiberglass all-in-one shower/tub unit. Thanks in advance for help!

Shower drain removal [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to replace an old shower stall in my basement with a new one. The old stall was made of steel. I'm having trouble removing the shower pan drain. It looks like it might be leaded in. I thought the ring that the drain cover screws into would unscrew, but it doesn't budge. The house...

Shower drain removal [ 3 Answers ]

Hi- I'm trying to take out an old shower drain that is rusted out and quite nasty. It's a two piece drain (the shower had a mud pan) and it's metal. I don't think I will be able to get the screws (holding the upper and lower parts together out). And I'm assuming the lower part is glued to the...

Shower drain removal [ 5 Answers ]

I have torn out an upstairs tiled shower because of a leak in the 28 year old cardboard/plastic film pan. So, there's no turning back. The shower drain appears to be aluminum seated in an iron flange? And the aluminum pipe inserts into the pvc drain pipe. I would rather not tear up the living room...

View more questions Search