Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    caroline's Avatar
    caroline Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 4, 2005, 06:58 PM
    Garnishment of bank account for payment of medical bill
    A creditor has won a judgement against me in court for a past due medical bill, and my checking account was garnished and consequently overdrawn.
    The debt was not completely discharged.

    I have just filed for SS disability, and have no income and don't expect to have any soon. My family has been helping me with what they can, enough to cover rent, and I'm now receiving food stamps.

    Now the same creditor has sought a bank attachment hearing. I don't understand what they hope to gain... and I'm terrified because I don't know what's going to happen as a result of their action.

    I'd pay them, of course, if I could. I wasn't diagnosed correctly for years and haven't been able to work full-time.

    My question is... what actions may be taken against me when this hearing takes place? Do I need to borrow more money to get a lawyer?

    Thanks... C.B
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,328, Reputation: 10855

    Nov 11, 2005, 07:12 PM
    Medical bill blues
    In my experience calling a creditor and cutting a deal will keep the garnishment dogs away. All they want is their money and most judges will agreee with them.Consult with a lawyer(mo' money) about bankruptcy or get on the internet and contact "chuck hibbs", or you can lose the bank account and find alternatives that can protect your money.your disability check can be sent to you and you do wharever with it.A lawyer can tell you if your disability check can be garnished,if not adios bank account. Check all your options first.. Call the creditor to see if he is willing to deal because the judge always sides with him if you owe them.Medical bills can kick anybodies butt especially us poor folks so good luck.
    letmeno's Avatar
    letmeno Posts: 215, Reputation: 23
    Full Member

    Nov 11, 2005, 07:27 PM
    The very same thing happened to me. I did end up losing my account because my payroll had always been direct deposit so my bank paid any outstanding checks and all electronic debits. Each debit was a whopping 20 bucks. The same week my payroll had started being garnished. If you have already been to court to claim the bills, I don't know if they will accept pymt arrangements or not, in my case the only thing that would stop the garnishments was payment in full. Depending on how much debt that you have a bankruptcy would most likely be in your best interest, because your debts exceed your income.
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,328, Reputation: 10855

    Nov 11, 2005, 07:57 PM
    Go to the internet and find Bud Hibbs its free check it out.the court will probably find you owe somebody money but if you have no income they can't collect until you are employed.From where I sit bankruptcy would be viable but there maybe other choices Bud Hibbs website helped me get a lot of facts and options as well as my rights.
    slippydippydo's Avatar
    slippydippydo Posts: 38, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member

    Dec 10, 2005, 09:19 PM
    Check this garnishment site for more info.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,302, Reputation: 7692

    Dec 10, 2005, 09:30 PM
    They want to first basically get any and all money you deposit into that bank before any other debts are paid.

    And of course most likely if you have any income coming in, they wish to attach it also.

    I am sorry about all of the bad check charges, go down and talk to a bank manager, explain to him about the reasons, and they can and often will waive all of the bad check charges. ( their fees anyway)
    You will still have to deal with the people that did not get paid.

    These people seem agresive so odds are they will do every court acton they can to take anything from you they legally can.

    A attorney may be needed to protect you from more actions.

    But for sure show up for all court dates, if you don't they fairly well win automatic

    *** This is my opinoin and not legal advice.
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

    Dec 27, 2005, 07:04 AM
    Hi C.B.

    I would take a different approach. The best defense is a great offense. You said that you weren’t diagnosed properly for years? If that is the same doctor who is causing your problems now, I believe you should turn the tables, and sue the crap out of him.

    In the first instance, write a letter to the Dr. Send it certified, return receipt requested. Send a copy to any and all participants. In your letter, DEMAND (do not ASK) that they stop any and all collection efforts, return every penny they’ve taken so far, and issue a letter of apology. Describe how you were mis-diagnosed, and tell him how much your are going to enjoy living in his beach front home. Give him 10 days to comply, and if he doesn’t, sue him.

    If you were, indeed, mis-diagnosed, you WILL find a lawyer to represent you on a contingency basis. That means it won’t cost you a penny, even if you lose.


    This is not legal advice. It’s get tough advice. (Thnks, Padre)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank account garnishment law [ 8 Answers ]

Can a creditor place a garnishment on my account and take or hold funds without notifying me first. This has recently happened to my bank account and now there are numerous over draft charges because of this hold and the transactions where prior to the hold is this legal. Thank You, Tbreland

Writ of Garnishment (Bank Account) [ 9 Answers ]

If A writ of Garnishment is issued by a court in Texas can the plaintiff execute this garnishment on my bank account in New York? I am a resident of Texas but when I moved from New york I never changed banks. My bank is also not available anywhere in the State of Texas. Can the creditor still...

Frivolous Garnishment On Bank Account [ 6 Answers ]

Hello friends... i need help!! My bank account was garnished by a credit card creditor as so was my direct deposit paycheck. i'm a mother of four and live paycheck to paycheck. I called to the creditor and advised them i never had a credit card nor lived in the city,state that they stated they...

Can a creditor garnish a bank account if there is a payment agreement? [ 3 Answers ]

A while back I asked a question for my friend who is disabled on social assistance, and was being bothered by creditors. Well, since that time, she has made arrangements with the creditors and is paying them $25 a month towards her debt, which is all she can afford with her low income. The...

View more questions Search