Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    derekg Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 08:52 AM
    Computer boot up trouble
    Ok to lay a lot of what its doing in depth, I looked around in questions before posting, basically its what it says it won't boot up , it's a hp8665c 512 ram(added a yr ago) and the 38 gig hard drive it came with, the problem I am receiving is when I boot the computer up, it will start with the hp blue screen then go to a black screen with blinkiing curser top left, this had happened to me a month ago and the weird thing about it is I did the auto disk clean up then rebooted and it took me to black screen with curser blink top left, but how I fixed this was I put the win98 cd in booted it up ran from cd and re installed over top hoping to fix it and it was successful only losing a few drivers that I had to re install main from my own personal uses like ulead picturing and just minor things so no big deal, the problem I have now is the weirdest thing to me because everything was working 100 perc. I was in the process of finishing a few downloads on limewire and my wireless net froze up on me so I couldn't do anything but pull the plug and plug it back in, I turn the power on and again I get this black screen with curser top left.,. noww when I try do the re install it says windows setup requires 7340032 bytes available on your c: drive, I looked made sure everything was snug in the PC box, tried each ram individually,, and I don't know if this helps but I had a 8 gig drive with win98se that was lyin around also so I unhooked my 38 gig drive and plugged the 8 gig drive in and it booted up just fine so would that mean the motherboarding is OK?not many who post this prob have access to another drive to try so trying to weed out things, I have some very important stuff I need that I don't have another copy of or back up of so I was wondering is it possible to save this stuff and could it be some minor problem that the average computer user such as myself can't figure out, I tried with a 3 and a half floppy disk, and it takes it further than the blinking screen, but I do not know the commands to get it running if it can go further, if there are any suggestions I would greatly apreciate it and hope I narrowed down everything what it has been doing , thank you
    Duane in Japan Posts: 282, Reputation: 8

Oct 24, 2007, 09:59 AM
    Buy one of these USB adaptors to turn your hard drive into an external hard drive and plug it into a friends PC and get your stuff, on my #2 PC the (#1 HD) external drive is now I & J drive so the boot up stuff on C drive does not come into play, its called I drive now.

Oct 24, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Thank you for your reply, is there anything else that can be done to get this computer back up, I hear some say it might be a video card issue? Or missing file/driver? I guess could be anything, I was able to perfom scandisks and found no errors, is it possible to re instal windows even with the message : windows setup requires 7340032 bytes available on your c: drive, or could a boot up disk solve this? Thank you

Oct 24, 2007, 07:46 PM
    OK so I got my boot disk, I start comp, f8 will not take me to the normal screen where it shows normal boot, safe mode,command prompt, or safe mode command prompt,. but only a command prompt and step by step confirm displayed at bottom of screen, I did the step by step pressed why for yes for all of them everything said successfully loaded to drive D.(still in black screen all of this), Then after the successful message to drive d it puts a A:> so there I'm stuck,, I try another reboot and it shows the hp blue screen , goes to the blinking curser at top left,, 5 seconds later says preparing to start your computer this may take a few minutes so here I'm thinking it might go, then it says the diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive D.then uder that message it gives me another A:\> then I'm stuck what to put in,so I'm a little stuck,thank you again

Oct 24, 2007, 08:48 PM
    This also may be helpful for trouble shooting, I found a site called when windows won't boot up because of program/s causing possible conflict, it calls for put boot disk in,, at A: prompt typ dir c: and it should bring up whatever it is that it does, but all I get is a invalid media type reading drive C abort retry or fail( I get this a lot when trying commands) one I haven't gotten wich is new is right after abort retry fail it says Fail on INT 24, thought maybe it might help ,only commands I know of so far that work are autexec.bat / and debug/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer Will Not Boot [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Compaq Presario SR1214NX that will not boot. Until recently, the computer ran fine with two internal hard drivers installed, but then I started getting the message "NTLDR IS MISSING PRESS CTRL-ALT-DEL TO RESTART". In the past, this meant my hard drive boot order had somehow...

Computer won't boot . [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, I haven’t asked a computer question for a long time - so I thought I’d ask a really good one: I have an older PC that suddenly refuses to ‘start’. It’s got an ASUS P2L97 mobo w/Pent. II 300mHz; 2 hard drives; 250 w. power supply; and I’m running Windows 98SE. A very basic PC. Here’s the...

Computer won't boot [ 2 Answers ]

I changed my heatsink fan and after I re-essembled it I found that it wouldn't boot. I've tried everything down to putting the old fan back. But nothing works! HELP

Computer Won't Boot Up [ 13 Answers ]

Whenever I switch my computer on it begins the startup and at best gets to the Windows XP logo and then the screen just goes black. This is the furthest it gets and most times won't even get there. If I go into BIOS the same thing happens. Any Ideas?

My computer will not boot up [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and have encountered a problem with my computer I was installing Norton Security 2007. I had installed it all and was finishing off with a full system scan - the computer simply stopped and crashed. I tried everything to switch it off without just pressing the button -...

View more questions Search