Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loupi01 Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2005, 08:35 AM
    125 amp sub panel
    What size wire do I need to pull for a 125 amp sub panel.

Thank you
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2005, 09:27 AM
    My old handbook says 0 for copper, and 000 for aluminum.

Nov 2, 2005, 09:35 AM
    Thanks labman
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2005, 02:51 PM
    Labman is usually dead on with his advice, however, this time incorrect.

Needs to get an updated handbook. The ampacities he mentions is wire with TW insulation, which is no longer used.

125 amp circuit at 75 Deg C requires #1 copper with THHN or XHHW insulation.

If the panel is in a house, then you may use #2 copper with THHN or XHHW insulation , or #1/0 Aluminum wire with the same insulation.

If you did install the wire Labman suggested, you certainly be well covered. However, with the cost of materils and labor, no need to create more waste.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2005, 03:15 PM
    Maybe I should have cautioned not buying the wire until you checked a newer source. Guess it isn't the 70's

Nov 2, 2005, 08:05 PM
    Thank you tkrussel,
    I did not buy the wire yet, so that is a good thing.
    I am new to this forum and have been looking at many questions posted on the board. You and labman give very good answers to many questions.

Thank you and to both of you...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a sub panel [ 6 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement which will have a 60x20 room and a 10x9 bathroom. I'm running 20 amp breakers,12-2 wire, 20 amp outlets. 2 breakers for 20 outlets ( 10 outlets a breaker). 1 breaker for 8 2x4 flourecents. 1 breaker for GFI ( for my freazer).

Which panel should I go with? [ 5 Answers ]

Greetings all, I am need of replacing an old Pushmatic Service Panel. The only breakers I can find for it are on e-bay. Plus I need to add a sub-panel in the garage for the new addition my wife wants. (She gets a walk-in closet and a bigger master bathroom with a tub and a separate shower, I get...

Square d sub panel [ 29 Answers ]

I am not to familiar with residential wiring and I have a question about sub panel problem. I have a 200 amp main panel with a 125 amp sub panel. There is a 60 amp feeder from the main for the sub. My problem is I am getting an unbalanced loading problem. I tried balancing the load between the 2...

Sub panel 40 amp wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 70 amp sub panel. I'm trying to figure out how to wire in a 40amp breaker in the sub from the panel in my house. I have two hot wires coming in to separate lugs, one neutral, but the breaker itself has one trip/reset lever yet has two screws on the bottom of the breaker;one on each side....

Adding sub panel [ 8 Answers ]

Hi All, My current breaker panel is a Murray Arrow / Hart. It has two rows of 8 sockets each plus three that are taken up by the main 100 amp breaker. All of the positions are filled on the panel, I have even removed the old 240v line to use those two spaces for additional breakers. I have...

View more questions Search