Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    commondetail Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2007, 03:59 PM
    How is shower water from above apartment coming into my tub drain directly below?
    Hi there,

I live in a three story building with a stack that hooks into just the shower/tub and bathroom sink. I live on the second floor. When the person above takes a shower, the water comes into my tub through the drain. Both tub and sink drain empty into a small drum (that captures sewer gases) that then empties, by way of a pipe, into the stack. I've just had the stack snaked. The water that collected in the tub ( now extremely black and thick-like sludge (plumber said this was "soap grease that accumulated over time)) could not be cleared until our plumber snaked the pipe leading from the "small drum" to the stack. The tub cleared after some effort at "snaking" the relatively small pipe leading to the stack from the drum.
    The plumber indicated, once again, that the pipe leading from the small drum was thick with black soap grease. Once the pipe was snaked and cleared leading to the stack, we ran water for a long period to make sure the pipe was clear.

My question: How did water get into my tub (coming up through the drain?)
    Did the water travel through the pipe from the stack into the small drum?
    How could water travel through the pipe leading from the stack if it was already clogged?
    Could the water have travelled through the pipe leading from the stack through the small drum and up into my tub through the drain due to the pitch of the pipe? Perhaps the sludge in the small pipe allowed movement of the water in one direction, but because of the accumulation of sludge in the pipe, water could not travel to the stack?
    Could the water have travelled into my tub, via drain, by way of the vent?

I welcome your comments?

Many thanks,
    David Myers
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 21, 2007, 05:27 AM
    My question: How did water get into my tub (coming up through the drain?)
    Water can only back up if there's a blockage in the line. The fact that you have a drum trap tells me that you have a older home probably with 1 1/2" galvanized drain lines. What sounds to me is that the plumber opened the line up by pushing his snake through the grease matted with hair but failed to flush out the line with boiling water and the greasy crud remaining simply closed back up. That's my take. Perhaps some of the other experts have another opinion. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water coming out of the tub faucet & the shower head at the same time? [ 5 Answers ]

I just installed a one handle Kohler faucet for the bath tub, when water is turned on and the shower converter button is in the down position the water comes out of the tub faucet and the shower head at the same time. When the shower converter button is pulled up water will only come out of the...

Cannot redirect water from tub to shower in Bathroom tub water fixrure [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Mohen bathtub fixture. When pulling the stem on the spout to change from bathtub to shower, water does redirect to the shower head but continues to flow from the tubspout. I have removed the spout and the shower head and the water flows properly (from both) Could someone please advise...

Water coming out of spout in tub after diverted to shower [ 2 Answers ]

I am sorry if this question has been asked. I am having problems with my tub/shower. I am not sure the brand on my bathtub faucet but it has one knob that controls hot and cold, on/off. The spout has a ring that you pull down on to divert the water to the shower head. If the water is on cold,...

Can a washer be hooked into my shower/tub water and drain? [ 2 Answers ]

Just wanted to say I've been reading all the advice you guys give out and I have to say I think I'm in good hands... My question is: I have a spare room on the other side of my bathroom that my wife wants me to make into a laundry room.. I can get to all the plumbing like the showerhead and...

Drain water from disposal coming up in basement shower [ 1 Answers ]

Why does the smelly drain water from disposal and washer :confused: come up in basement shower

View more questions Search