Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bsydes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2007, 01:31 PM
    I got a Divorce. Did my name change back?
    A very close friend of mine was recently divorced and she doesn't know if her last name has returned to her maiden name. Is there anyway to find this information out?

Thank you, Beau
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 19, 2007, 01:44 PM
    Your name doesn't change unless you want it to. Just as she had to go through some significant steps when she changed her name upon getting married (social security, driver's license, etc), if she wants to change her name back to her maiden name she can certainly do so, but it's not automatic and she would have to go through the same process again. Some women decide to keep their married names after divorce, perhaps because they're used to it or feel it's not worth the hastle and confusion to change it back. It's entirely up to her.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 19, 2007, 01:51 PM
    Was changing the name listed in the divorce decree. IF so, did they take it to the drivers license and have their name change. Nothing happens automatically normlly.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2007, 03:11 PM
    I agree with Fr. Chuck. In my divorce, my lawyer had put in the request to change my name back to my maiden name and the Judge approved. So it was written in the divorce decree. I had to take the original certified decree to both Social Security and the Driver's License to make the name change.

If the name change is not listed in the divorce decree, your friend can still change it back. She needs an attorney and some money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Uncontested divorce before name change? [ 16 Answers ]

Hello. My husband left when my daughter was a month old. He ended up not being the father of our child after she was born. (her paternal father is unknown of his whereabouts.) we remained to stay together even though we did not live together because we were in the process of getting his green...

How do I make the guy I love change and win him back? [ 3 Answers ]

I've been 3 years with a guy and we broke up a couple of days ago.He used to be a very sweet guy but lately he turned into a selfish freak who wants things his way... or no way... I couldn't take it anymore and we broke up even if I love him very much and I can't seem to live without him... what...

Will he change his mind & want me back? [ 9 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend had been going out for nearly 8 months. We had a really strong, happy relationship, and nothing was going wrongly. Over the last month, we've had a couple of arguments, and when I look back at one of them, it was hardly an argument. But last week he ended it with me, suddenly. ...

How to change red tint back to brown? [ 5 Answers ]

I had a natural hair color of light brown but I went through the stage of coloring. I've probabley died my hair more then 10 times.And I've been trying to get it back to a light brown but I don't know how to get rid of the red tint. What do you think I should put on it to work?:o help:)

How can I change my hair back to my natural colour? [ 1 Answers ]

I am naturally blonde but have been dying my hair medium brown for nearly 2 years. I haven't dyed my hair again recently and I have decided I want to go back to my natural blonde colour. I have heard about lightening hair dyes but I'm not sure what colour this will turn my hair. Can you suggest...

View more questions Search