Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chicagomami2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2007, 05:00 PM
    My husband wants to adopt my son but am afriad ex won't agree
    I am married with one child from my husband and a 2 1/2 yr old from a previous relationship. Since that relationship ended, my 2 yr olds father has never been in the picture and my husband has been around my 2 yr old since he was a few months old and has raised him as his own, so he is now wanting to adopt him. The only problem is, I am worried that if we find my ex, he won't sign the papers out of spite. I have police reports on him from the past that show he was abusive, leading up to only a year ago when he was harassing me and I got a restraining order. But as far as our child went he never made any atempts to see him or send me any type of child support. What do I do if he gives me a hard time just to be, basically, a jerk?
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 06:41 PM
    Of course the easiest way is to have him sign over his rights... you can always use child support as a bargaining tool. Let him know if he refuses to sign over his rights, you are going to go forward with collecting child support to help raise your child.

If he still refuses, you can petition to have his rights terminated on grounds of abandoment. You will need to get an attorney and check the laws in your area. In Ohio, it is a minimum of 6 months with no contact or child support then you can file abandonment charges. During this time you can petition to have his rights terminated to allow your husband to adopt. You will need to prove that it is in the best interest of the child etc. Keep in mind, if he fights it... you will be in for an uphill battle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husband wants to adopt my son [ 6 Answers ]

We live in Pennsylvania and I just got married and my husband wants to adopt my 7 year old son. The biological father is not in the picture and has had made no attempt to be a part of my sons life. He is not listed on the birth certificate and I have no idea where he lives. Can I just list my...

My Husband wants to Adopt my son .how? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and i want him to adopt my son, he's dad in no where in the picture and never will be ..he is not even on the birth cirtificate. how do we begain this process? i'm lost totally. :o

Husband wants to adopt son. [ 2 Answers ]

My husband is not my son bio father. His fathers name is not on the birth cert or any other legal outstanding document. We had arranged child support personally, he has since stopped providing that (which is ok). He has proven that he doesn't want anything to do with him. My husband and I just...

Can my husband adopt my son [ 1 Answers ]

Hey my husband wants to adopt my son his father gave us consent to do you . What do we have to do now. Where do we go to get this done and what does it involve?

Can my husband adopt my son [ 2 Answers ]

I live in louisana with my son, my husband, and my daughter. I am looking into my husband adopting my son. His father and I were never married and have a court order for visitations and child support. He has not seen our son in almost two years or paid child support in almost the same time. I got...

View more questions Search