Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    InNeedOfHelp2 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Oct 17, 2007, 08:23 PM
    Tenants won't leave and we just sold the property.
    Ok... The tenants we were renting our home to have not paid anything. We had no written lease. I understand they are still tenants even though it was verbal only. Ok.. we served them with the Notice to pay or quit, and they are still in the home, we have a court date on November 5 to have them evicted. We just sold the property tonight, transferd the title, etc. Can the new owners get them out any more quick so they can begin their move. We are in Virginia. Thanks, Michelle
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 08:36 PM
    New owners have to start all over again, new notice and everything,
    You should not have sold it, until they were out normally.

Oct 17, 2007, 08:40 PM
    Ok.. well the new owners know what is going on and have no problem with it, and are going to court with us, I just wondered if the new property owner could get them out any more quick since they have no agreements with them what so ever.
    Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 08:48 PM
    The new owners are bound by your same agreement, but if they go to court with you, who knows housing courts do strange things at times

Oct 17, 2007, 08:51 PM
    Thanks Chuck! This has been one big headache. We own a mobile home and it's in a mobile home park... so they haven't paid us rent and they haven't paid the lot rent, which to my understanding... we have to pay that as well. I just can't get over the gall people have getting a free ride.. and they live right next to us. I do have another question, they changed the locks on the doors... can they do this?
    Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 09:12 PM
    You can demand a key, and/or add the cost of new locks to the list of what they owe you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lease Ended, Tenants Won't Leave [ 2 Answers ]

I wanted to know if anybody has ended up in the situation I'm in, and what is the correct procedure to take: I have tenants who have had been living in my rental property for 1 year. They have been a headache since the first month, but I thought I would stick it through and be done w/ them...

Property sold; can I get out of my lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 2.5 years into my 5 year commercial lease in Louisiana and my landlord has sold the property. Can I get out of my old lease?

Property Taxes on Property sold for estate settlement. [ 1 Answers ]

We have sold property in Indiana that will be part of and estate settlement. The property sold for less than $100,000. The money from this property will be divided between the 6 children. What taxes will be owed for the sale of this property?

Tenants house being sold [ 2 Answers ]

I am a tenant whose townhouse is being sold by the owner/landlord in NY. We were notified 3 days before the sign went up in the front yard. We were initially told that we could pick specific days that we would be available and would receive 24 hours notice or reasonable notice... we have two dogs...

Inform tenants building is being sold [ 3 Answers ]

I live in NH and I am selling the building, I would like to inform the tenants of what's to happen in a formal letter. Is there a format I can follow or or words I should use?

View more questions Search