Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rwm47 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Submersible Pump
    A friend asked me to hook up his water pump. He has the red black yellow and green wires running to the house, which he wants hooked up to the box. This is not right is it. I thought that power came from main box to a control box and these wires hooked to control box from pump?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2007, 02:30 PM
    If the "main box" is the "House Load center" or what people call the "Fuse box", the "Fuse box" should not be used for splicing.

Load center to controls.
    Control to pump.
    rwm47 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Well keep it simple I don't think you understand. The control box I was referring to is the pump control box that is fed from the main circuit breaker pannel. The control box usually has a pressure switch for the pump and you can disconect the pump with the control box. I just want to know how to wire control box to pump.
    mgoody Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2007, 03:35 PM
    This sounds dangerous. You state that the control box usually has a pressure switch - that is not necessarily so; a pressure switch is but one way of automatically controlling a pump, float switches and time clocks are other methods commonly used. Some control boxes also contain motor capacitors which are essential parts of the pump motor, remote mounted; some boxes don't. I suggest you either employ the services of a competent electrician and/or obtain a wiring diagram from the pump/motor manufacturer. Good luck!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2007, 03:48 PM
    Correct, if you just connect the pump to the "box", I assume you mean the panelboard, the pump wll run continuously. Some pumps do go to a control box, that would contain a contactor (large relay) that is controlled by a pressure switch.

Small motors,1/2-3/4 HP may use just the pressure switch.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Rwm:
    I don't think you shouls have disagrred with me because my reply started with "If". That means I didn't understand and should not be punished for it.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2007, 07:59 PM
    If it is an air switch, activate through lo, hi, off??
    Continuity tester would verify switching, you may only need 2 connections on switch.
    Is it 120 volts? Could need red or black reidentified as neutral. Yellow could be for a switch leg for a light. Can you see where the other end of the wires come from, in the house
    (fuse panel, frond door switches?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Troubleshooting submersible pump problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hello! I am having a little trouble with a submersible pump. It pressures up to 28 pounds (it should pressure to 50 pounds) and then it just sets there. Can't seem to get any more pressure but the switch doesn't seem to be doing anything after it reaches the 28 pounds. I have watched it and I can't...

Submersible water pump trouble [ 4 Answers ]

I have been having trouble with my water so I bought a new water pump, it's the submersible type for a well. The water would work for a short time then just stop. The new water pump does the same thing. I can't find anyone who can tell me what the problem is. The bladder tank pressure is reading 32...

Submersible pump doesn't work after power outage [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a new 1/2 hp submersible pump. I was using it to pump water out of my small above ground pool. The other day there were some storms about 25 miles away and our power went out. Since the power came back on the pump doesn't work. The ground fault outlet wasn't tripped and the...

How can I get the old submersible pump out? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I asked the submersible pump question a while ago and speedball1 helped me a lot. I have additional question now. I have located the well. Can you tell me the steps to pull the pump out? Is it doable for an layman like me? I am pretty comfortable to explorer things but would like to...

View more questions Search