Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Prissy247 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2007, 11:16 AM
    Speaking in Tounges
    Where in the bible does it say that it is required to have the gift of tounges to enter into heaven?
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 11:25 AM
    Never heard of that... maybe revalations but I don't know.
    Good question.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2007, 01:57 PM
    It doesn't say. They say that because in Acts when the Holy Spirit anointed a group of people they would speak in tongues as a sign. Corinthians says though I may have the gift of speaking in tongues,. etc but have not love I am nothing.
    The Church puts a lot of emphasis on speaking in tongues but if it isn't anointed by the Holy Spirit I think it may be fruitless.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 06:09 PM
    It does not say it is required, it is often considered one of the more minor gifts of the spirit and we should seek better gifts.
    pdepotty1980 Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Oct 18, 2007, 12:28 PM
    Speaking in toungs is not required, but like those above me have said, it is a gift. Many of my fellow parishioners also believe that it is also the method that men(not gender specific) use to "scramble" your dialogue with God from the Enemy. Basically "Toungs" is a secret language between you and the Lord. I mean, how many times have you tried to pray and just never had the words to express just how you felt. With Toungs you can use the feeling inside your heart to fuel your words by the use of your "secret language", instead of trying to validate your feelings with actual spoken words.
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Oct 23, 2007, 04:22 PM
    It is a Holy prayer language and a gift of the Holy Spirit. It is evidence of the Holy Spirit living in us. Not a requirement for Heaven. Definitely a powerful tool for prayer.
    Romans 8:26
    Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
    1 Corinthians 14:14
    For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.
    It is not something that we understand, but our spirit is praying with the Holy Spirit and God understands.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdepotty1980
    Speaking in toungs is not required, but like those above me have said, it is a gift. Many of my fellow parishioners also believe that it is also the method that men(not gender specific) use to "scramble" your dialogue with God from the Enemy. Basically "Toungs" is a secret language between you and the Lord. I mean, how many times have you tried to pray and just never had the words to express just how you felt. With Toungs you can use the feeling inside your heart to fuel your words by the use of your "secret language", instead of trying to validate your feelings with actual spoken words.
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Speaking in tongues I feel is a reference to people of the same faith - speaking the same language - being on the same page.
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Nov 7, 2007, 04:47 PM
    It is not about being on the same page. When the Holy Spirit came upon the people, others thought they were drunk and wondered why they could hear other languages.

Acts 2
    Coming of the Holy Spirit
    1 When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord[a] in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
    The Crowd's Response

5 And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven. 6 And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language. 7 Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, “Look, are not all these who speak Galileans? 8 And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born? 9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites, those dwelling in Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya adjoining Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretans and Arabs—we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God.” 12 So they were all amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “Whatever could this mean?”
    13 Others mocking said, “They are full of new wine.”
    Peter's Sermon

14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words. 15 For these are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day. 16 But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:
    17 ' And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God,
    That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh;
    Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
    Your young men shall see visions,
    Your old men shall dream dreams.
    18 And on My menservants and on My maidservants
    I will pour out My Spirit in those days;
    And they shall prophesy.
    19 I will show wonders in heaven above
    And signs in the earth beneath:
    Blood and fire and vapor of smoke.
    20 The sun shall be turned into darkness,
    And the moon into blood,
    Before the coming of the great and awesome day of the LORD.
    21 And it shall come to pass
    That whoever calls on the name of the LORD
    Shall be saved.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluerose
    Speaking in tongues I feel is a reference to people of the same faith - speaking the same language - being on the same page.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2007, 05:16 PM
    I agree with the ones who have posted that the GIFT of speaking in tongues is not a requirement to get into Heaven. There are many gifts of the Holy Spirit and you may receive one or two or three or none. See I Cor. 12:7-11 and I Cor. 12:27,28.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2007, 05:31 PM
    I would like to know where you heard that from. That you required the gift of tongues.

Every single person has a different gift or gifts.

Shygrneyzs, excellent references With I Cor.

Joe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Public Speaking [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I want to know what types of public speaking situations you, as teachers, find yourselves in often. Thank you, Ben

Speaking in public [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all, I have to do a reading at my sisters wedding next week and had the practice run tonight. This is a real challenge for me and I want to do well for my sister. I am generally nervous in such situations and during the practice run was very tense and found breathing and being natural...

English Speaking [ 1 Answers ]

I want to learn engilsh speaking

Public speaking [ 9 Answers ]

I have no idea where to post this question. I was just reading candy28's post about her being shy and it got me thinking about an upcoming problem I am going to have. (I know, isn't it cool when you can see the problem before you have it. LOL) Anyway, my dad is getting married at the end of...

Public Speaking [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, every year in junior high we have to write a speech and deliver it to class and there is a competition. I won first place in grades 5, 6 and 7, and 2nd in grade 8, but this year I'm stuck. I have no idea what to write about, and I don't really want to write about something serious. I was...

View more questions Search