Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vajewbee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2007, 12:41 AM
    HIV can it get in the way?
    Ok so I have a question for anyone who might know but I will say that I'm very scared to ask. Is it possible to have a baby with a sergeant mother even if I have hiv? See the problem is that I was with a partner for 3 and a half years and found out that in the last four months of our relationship he was having sex with a friend of mine that is hiv positive and now I am too. I really want to have kids and I want them to be part of my family line so I want to use a sergeant mother but I will not be willing to put anyone else health at risk so if anyone knows the answer or at least where I can find one please let me know. Thank you so much for your time.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 15, 2007, 02:58 AM
    I think you mean 'surrogate mother' and I actually think it is best that you sit down with your doctor and discuss your plans seeing as there is HIV involved. I hope you can come to some conclusion that way.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2007, 06:36 AM
    I agree with the previous posts... you need to discuss this all with your doctor.

But as long as you are using an egg and sperm from a non-infected HIV donor... the risk would be zero.

But definitely discuss all your options with your doctor. There are many modern day drugs that can reduce the risk of transmission of HIV to your baby to less that 2%... and that is with YOU getting pregnant on your own with artificial insemination from a partner that is HIV negative and planning ahead.

Here is a site you can read about that...
    HIV, pregnancy, mothers and babies

Best of luck! :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 15, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Just to add, and play devils advocate (food for thought really), that if you are planning on adopting this baby from the surrogate mother, many judges will not allow adoption to an HIV patient as the future is uncertain for parents due to the terminal outcome of the illness and will leave the child without a parent.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2007, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Just to add, and play devils advocate (food for thought really), that if you are planning on adopting this baby from the surrogate mother, many judges will not allow adoption to an HIV patient as the future is uncertain for parents due to the terminal outcome of the illness and will leave the child without a parent.
    Ooooohhhh very good point!!
    zcepter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2007, 11:23 PM
    American RadioWorks - Conceiving Ryan

I reckon this article is relevant to your question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIV fear [ 27 Answers ]

I went the other day to get tested for any STD's, I am so scared of catching HIV. They say I will get the result in 2 weeks... how is someone meant to do or think of anything else when this is on their mind... I can't stop thinking about it, I'm so stressed with this. Ive foolishly had unprotected...

HIV [ 1 Answers ]

How do you know how long someone has had the HIV?

Hiv and hbv [ 1 Answers ]

How do the possible result of HIV and HBV differ

View more questions Search