Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RICH MALONE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2005, 02:35 PM
    Bathroom Drain Odor
    I Am Having Problems With Odors Coming From Both The Shower And Sink Drains In Two Of My Three Bathrooms. They Are At Opposite Ends Of The House, On Different Septic Tanks. The Strange Thing Is That The Odors Only Happen When It Rains. Even The Slightest Amount Of Rain Will Cause The Odors. I Feel Confident That This Is A Venting Problem Since The Vents Are Seeing/ Collecting The Rain.
    Can Anyone Confirm Or Suggest Another Cause?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 25, 2005, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH MALONE
    I Am Having Problems With Odors Coming From Both The Shower And Sink Drains In Two Of My Three Bathrooms. They Are At Opposite Ends Of The House, On Different Septic Tanks. The Stange Thing Is That The Odors Only Happen When It Rains. Even The Slightest Amount Of Rain Will Cause The Odors. I Feel Confident That This Is A Venting Problem Since The Vents Are Seeing/ Collecting The Rain.
    Can Anyone Confirm Or Suggest Another Cause?
    Hi Rich,
    Rain increases the humidity in the air making the odor heavier then air so the gas,(odor) does not raise but instead drops to where it can be smelled.
    Most bad oders in bathroom drains come from rotting hair mixed with grease from the soap. Try this. Tonight before you go to bed pour 1/2 gallon of bleach down both drains and let it set overnight. Next morning flush it down with a few large pans of boiling water. The bleach will start to dissolve and soften the hair and make it slippery and the boiling water will melt the grease and flush the mess out into the main. Now see if that smelly drain doesn't smell sweeter? Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terrible odor in bathroom [ 12 Answers ]

I have a nasty odor in my master bathroom that comes and goes but when it is here it overcomes you!! I have smelt the shower and sink drains and aira and heating vents to see if the smell was coming from any of those and I do not smell it in any of those places. I have no idea where ekse to look...

Terrible odor in bathroom--worse with stormy weather--HELP! [ 10 Answers ]

I have had about ten plumbers here. No one can figure out what this is... We purchased the home two years ago--it has been ongoing since that time. House is fifty years old. Previous owners rehabbed the bathroom in 1998. We do not have the odor in the winter. Only in the spring and summer. It...

Sewer odor in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

My mother's bathroom has a sewer odor or some kind of bad odor if not used for a few days. She was able to stop it by putting a towel over the bathtub drain when she left the house. I have put a flat rubber stopper over the drain but it isn't stopping it. Now, it appears after someone opens a...

Sewer Odor in Bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

Last week I noticed our toilet had bubbles coming up it for a minute or so... I don't remember if the washing machine was running or not, it seemed strange, but I didn't pay too much attention to it. Now this week, there is a sewer smell in our bathroom, and I swear I can smell it in the room next...

Sewage odor in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

We had just moved into a condo and are located on the 3rd floor. We now find that there is a sewage smell in the main bathroom every day. How can we find out what can possible be causing this? We also notice that the water in the bathroom toilet appears to have water flowing back and forth...

View more questions Search