Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andonefreestyle Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2005, 07:33 PM
    Urgent Help!!
    To old coach or anyone else
    Old coach :

I have made a bet of 1500$$$$$$$ this is not a joke. I have till january-30-2006
    To be capable of dunking 10 feet basketball net... i am 5.11 feet and i weight about 140 pounds, i have a weak vertical i need like 3 more inches to touch the rim... and i have till january 30 to be capable of duncking... i am not that righ so i can't buy a vertical program can you telll me how i can improuve my verticall, any books, sites, exercice, free vertical jumping program any thing at all that can make me win pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee helpppppppp mee
    I have about 3 month to gain about 10 inches pleaseeeeeeeee helppppp meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    SSchultz0956 Posts: 121, Reputation: 10

Oct 24, 2005, 07:35 AM
    Dude, your nuts. Anyway, I would go out and buy some strength shoes. They run about 120 - 140 dollars, even though your not rich, these will make you 1500 so don't fret about it. Frankly, it's the only thing that will effectively increase your jump, especially if you only need three inches. These will add that and some. Some people increase their jump up to 10 inches with these things. I don't know how much my jump increased from them, but I used them just to increase speed and strengthen my calves, but they are a good investment. Do realize though, your going to have to work A LOT to increase 10 inches, it can be done, but if your not willing, it won't happen.

Oct 24, 2005, 01:57 PM
    Ok S let me tell you something
    Nice advice but I can't get the shoes why because the guy that I made the bet with is my brother he's 21 years old... And the rules were : Can't Buy any idems to help myself, can't buy any programs. The only thing I can do is get some exercice from SOME ONE THAT AUREDY WAS A VERTICAL PROGRAM AND CAN HELP ME BY TELLING ME SOME EXERCICES. I can only jump higher by physical exercices.

Oct 24, 2005, 07:03 PM
    Hey I forgot something
    Me I'm 6 feet tall and when I put my hand over my head without jumping I touch 7.8 feet. When I jump I reach 9.8 feet. So I have a vertical of 20 inches I want to increase that to about 28 inches if possbile.
    SSchultz0956 Posts: 121, Reputation: 10

Oct 25, 2005, 12:36 PM
    First of all dude, there is some technique to dunking. Realize that a lot of your verticle is going to come from quick, sudden contractions of your calves. Work them!! You need to work on your timing especially. Back in the day when dunked, at first it always bounced out even though I was a good 5 inches over the rim, because my timing was off. So work your calves like it's your job. Since you can't buy strength shoes, you can still use the principle of them. All they do is keep yo uon the balls of your feet. Practice doing sprints without using your heels, it would be hard and may hurt some at first, but stay off your heels. Do you have a medicine ball? Get something like one, something heavy, and jump with it in your hands. When I say heavy I mean no more than 5-10lbs. Sprint with the item and at the end of your sprints jump. Or just stay in place and jump with it. Key thing is, as stated before, stay on the balls of your feet when you jump. I've got to go to class now, if I think of anything else ill post it. By the way, don't you think 1500 dollars is a bit much?

Oct 29, 2005, 06:21 PM
    Old coach I know I asked a lot until now but one last question how can I work on my timing? For a dunk... and maybe you'll ask who am I what I play here is all the information
    I'm 15 years old, 5.11 feet. 140 pounds.I play as a guard.I'm in my city elite team.I been playing basketball for 5 years. Please help me and God bless you if you help me get 1500$ and be able tu dunk thankx a lot
    Air J Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Nov 7, 2005, 10:17 AM
    Anyway, i would go out and buy some strength shoes.
    These are only short termly good once your clafs are strong these won't help.

Realize that a lot of your verticle is going to come from quick, sudden contractions of your calves.
    That bull calfs contribute very little if non to your vertical jump the posterior chain is the best Quads hams glutes etc...

PS Don't forget upperbody/core

I'm guesing you've only done plyometrics so start weight training i made a post not to long ago(5minutes) about and it has a quick program what will help you. There's two articles i wrote quickly so hopefully you'll read them just email me if you need more help [email protected]

Vertical Jumping

I know that this may be one of the things you desire (A Great Vertical Leap). There are many reasons to train to get a high vertical leap. For many sports I there’s different reasons to improve your jumping ability. Like in Basketball many many many people with want to dunk a basketball so badly they’ll pay a million dollars for a program which says that you’ll gain this many inches in this amount of time.(I exaggerated on a million dollars but…) There is no way that there’s a guarantee for a program because your body may be use to the same workout routine so if you were doing plyometrics for a while( a commercial program ). Most of them are plyometrics. If you do plyometrics then do more plyometrics you probably not going to gain well so don’t fall for them 10 inches in 5 weeks things. Most people are now like but what about testimonials? They can be lies. Anyway even if there not lies I doubt that many other will gain like that. Now I’m going to break this down into two sections ( Weights and Plyometrics ).

Weights

Many of you guys probably never trained with weights before so why not start now. To be good at sports you need to be in good shape and be strong enough to do what you have to do. I think weight training is one of if not the best way to improve vertical jumping. If your just going to start with weights soon check out my other article for a simple program which you can use and change the exercises. You want to go for form before weight. Once you get form down then put on some more weight but don’t put too much because you don’t want to sacrifice form. I think of some exercise that you may want to incorporate in your program (this is only some lower body don’t forget about upper body and your core) are Squats/Deadlifts have them on different days so that you don’t tax your cns( central nervous system ) too much. Lunges are great because they can fix the imbalance in your legs. Step-Ups can be good to if done with a higher chair so you can get your glutes and some other posterior chain muscles into that exercise. Leg Curls are pretty good for hamstring but GHRs work great to but are much more difficult so beginners don’t start with these. Pistols can be a great addition to any workout just practice them with something to balance on first then try without balance work your way up to that. There are many more but these are just some easy ones.

Plometrics

Plyometrics are a great way to get more quick. There are the different kinds. High Med Low intensity. High intensity plyometrics should only be done when you have a good strength base and squat 1.5 times your body weight so if you weight 100 you would want to squat 150. Low and medium plyometrics are usually can be done without squating that much weight.
    Example of high intensity plyometric: Depth Jumps
    Example of Medium/Low intensity plyometric: Lateral Cone hops

This is just a quick overview I will later go into more in depth information. I will not have any Q and A’s this time I will make a huge page of Q and A’s hopefully very soon.
    i know this goes off topic and isn't great but i just made it quick i was going to help terminal vertical cause they were going to help advertise this site he said but i didn't believe him.

Strength

One thing many young athletes today lack strength in the weight room. Many can't squat there body weight even! To be a great athlete in Football, Baseball, Basketball, Tennis, Soccer and other sports you will need strength. In football you may need to break a tackle or tackle someone. In baseball you may need to rob a home run or hit a homerun. In basketball you may need to out jump someone for the rebound. In tennis you may need to serve the ball or you may need to run and backhand it back at your opponent. In soccer you may need to kick it past the goalie or you may have to run faster then your opponent to steal the ball away from him. Some ways to improve strength is to hit the weight room, not just men, women to can improve strength and not bulk up. If they wanted to they could. Men usually like to look strong and be strong. It doesn’t mean though you won't be strong if your not some huge bodybuilder. When people think of power they think of bodybuilders or people lifting cars up. Power=Strength x Speed. Okay back on topic many young athletes lack strength like I said before but usually have good speed. If you neglect strength but work on speed this could be you, a strength rating of 2 and a speed rating of 4. Power=8. Think if you just maintained your speed but added strength you could look like this, 4 speed and 3 strength now Power=12, so when training don’t forget one part of training usually strength is neglected so I used examples of that. One program what is good for strength is the “Westside for skinny Bastards” program. This is just a quick overview i will probably add more later.

Q and A

Will weightlifting stunt my growth?

NO. Studies have shown it will not but having bad form could reck your plates.

How do I start?

I would start with a very basic program like…..

Squats 2-3 x 10
    Bench 2-3 x 10
    Leg Curl 2 x 10
    Pull ups 2 x a little less then what you can do.

Deadlift 2-3 x 10
    Lat Pulldown 2 x 10
    Lunges 2 x 10
    Push ups 2 x a little less then what you can do.

Work on form more then how much weight you can put on. Also change this program every so while once you start platueing. This is very basic and not a great program but it can get you started.
    Will weights make you slow?

It may but just do plyometrics like lateral cone hop, box jumps, depth jumps, etc..

Do you have to squat 1.5 times your body weight to do plyometrics?

No that is mainly for high intensity plyometrics. H.I.=Depth jumps LI or MI=Rim Jumps Sprints.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help! I am in urgent need of your help! [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I separated over three years ago... March of 2002. I tried to find him and serve him notice that I wanted to get a divorce then. He never responded to the letters I sent him asking for a divorce. Now, I have found someone who wants to marry me, but I still can't find my ex-husband....

Urgent Help! [ 3 Answers ]

Please if anyone can find a site where i can find this car"2003 Dodge Truck Sprinter Van " that is used or damaged and it coast maximum 20.000$$$$ because i need to buy one please help some one

I need help *URGENT* [ 5 Answers ]

My husband is divorced and has one child from this previous marriage (who's a teenager now) and his 'ex' (who is married to a wealthy man) keeps on trying to blackmail us, demanding a large amount of money that we don't have in order to leave us alone. Since she didn't get what she wants she is...

How do I... (urgent) [ 12 Answers ]

I'm going to make this straight and to the point as possible. I've been ignorin a girl testing whether she likes me but after sometime she's also started to play busy even though she's tried to meet with me and I play dumb.The tricky part is she isn't no pushover and doesn't take crap from no one...

View more questions Search