Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    malimal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Pet Store Puppy and older Lab
    Hello All, Thanks in advance for your help. I am happy to have found this site.

I have read some of the questions and comments about Pet Store puppies. I wish I had known, but its to late for that. I have a Lab that I bought from a breeder. He is 2.5 years old and neutered. Very calm and nice. I bought a 4 month old Westie boy from the pet store a couple of weeks ago.

After reading the discussions on here, I know its going to be hard to housebreak him as he is use to going in his Den. I know its going to take a while to break the habit, but somebody please tell me it will get better.

Since he has gone in his little crate a couple times, we have tried a few things. Right now my plan is to get him use to going any place but in his little crate. When we are gone for a long period I will put his little crate in a big wire crate lined with news paper, that we use to use for our Lab. He now goes in the bigger crate, but at least not in the smaller crate. Of course we try out best to get him to go outside if possible, but we can't stand out there all day. Unfortunately we really can't come home during the day so I now this does not help the situation.

I have though about putting him in the big crate outside during the day so he can at least get use to going outside. Or at least he can get use to going on newspaper and then we move the news paper outside.

I do wonder if my older lab can teach the pup anything. Should I put the crate in the room with my lab at night?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2007, 05:18 PM
    You have reviewed the sticky starting at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

Walking the dog outside until it does go, and then praising it should be a big help.

That crate within a crate is sort of a novel idea, and maybe will help. It is very important to give the dog a chance to eliminate away from its nest. I would like to think things will get better. I see many questions here from people whose dogs are fouling the crate, but few reports about whether what I suggest ever helps. People seldom post back and say it didn't work either. When it is a problem I have had and solved, I am confident about what I suggest.

It is important to give the dog a mid day break and maybe a third meal. Could you find neighbor or a professional dog walker? I think your dog is too young for doggy day care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hungry Lab puppy [ 8 Answers ]

I recently bought a Black Labrador puppy predomitely as a pet but also to use when I go shooting, he was under size when I got him as his mother dried up after 6 weeks and he wasn't eating great, took him to the vets for his first inoculation and he is about 1kilo under weight but we put this down...

Housetraining Pet Shop Puppy [ 14 Answers ]

My husband and I made the uneducated mistake of purchasing an adorable, loveable miniature poodle from a pet store. I am ashamed, disgusted and feel terribly guilty about doing this after finding out information about pet shop puppies. I have lost sleep and have prayed for forgiveness for my...

The Pet Store( careful what you pay For) [ 2 Answers ]

A woman went to a pet shop and immediately spotted a large, beautiful parrot.. There was a sign on the cage that said $50. "Why so little," she asked the pet store owner. The owner looked at her and said, "Look, I should tell you first that this bird used to live in a house of prostitution...

Pet store puppy pooping in crate [ 9 Answers ]

A month ago, we purchased a golden retriever from a local pet store. We've always bought our dogs from reputable breeders but for some reason, this one pulled on our heart strings. The problem is, she was 5 1/2 months old when we got her and had been there since they got her from the breeder. As...

Pet Store Puppy and House Training Problems [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I purchased Baxter a 5.5 month old Boston terrier about 3.5 months ago from a pet store. The first two weeks he had such severe pnuemonia he was at the vets on and off. Once he got over that we decided to crate train him since this was suppose to be the best method out there. We got...

View more questions Search