Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    rohadfox's Avatar
    rohadfox Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 11, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Frozen bank account
    My account has been frozen by capital one bank through Rubin and rothman.
    Last statement I received before the judgement was levied against me was that the debt was for $1302. The card was only a $1000.00 limit which I eached and then did not pay while I was going through a divorce. However on my accounts which I have 3 of the amounts they have debit hold on very. In one acount it has $2501. In another it has $2500
    And in another it states $4466. The fisrt two accounts are a checking acct and savings acct with the same bank. The other account is just a savings account with another bank. Now I do have funds that will be relised to me next week which will enable me to pay off this judgement. So I am asking from anyone's experence is there still a chance to nogotiate a settlement amount in full, and would I do this with, the lawyers or the card company? Also can the amount esculate that much for a $1000.00 card? I lost my orignal court papers that had the judgemnt amount on it but I know it was not the $4466.00 amount. I am requesting another copy and if it is 2500 then I have no promblem although I'm hoping I can get it lower.
    Any thing anyone knows can help.
    JulesDP's Avatar
    JulesDP Posts: 8, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 11, 2007, 07:40 AM
    I am certainly not an expert but I will share my experience. I had a similar thing happen w/ my husband's bank account. It was frozen in order to satisfy a judgement, the amount owed was $3200. I immediately contacted the attorney handling the case and was able to negotiate it down to $2700. I paid him $2200 in cash and he gave me a conditional release on my hubby's bank account (which means that the bank has to send the atty the remaining $500 and then release the funds). The process took about 48 hrs. In my opinion it doesn't hurt to try and negotiate w/ the attorney/client.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frozen Bank Account [ 2 Answers ]

I understand that a bank account can be frozen once a judgment has been issued (after being sued on old debt), but can a collection agency who is looking for assets freeze your bank account without first having sued or without having obtained a judgment first?

Frozen bank account [ 2 Answers ]

Can a bank place a hold on or freeze an account without some type of judgement or court order in Maryland?

Frozen bank account [ 23 Answers ]

Hi, My question is, can my husbands bank account be frozen for a judgement against me. I have a pending judgement against my own credit card, which he was a user, but the account was in my name. I was told to get my own account since they will probably freeze our joint account that I used to pay on...

Frozen Bank Account [ 7 Answers ]

My bank account was recently frozen because of an outstanding credit card balance. I live paycheck to paycheck, I called the bank and they just said an order was put through and that there was nothing they could do. I called the number the bank gave me for the company that got the judgement. I...

Bank account frozen [ 1 Answers ]

I've read several questions on the topic of judgements from creditors freezing or levying bank accounts. Unfortunately, we received some very bad advice from a debt settlement company and allowed a judgement to be put on us. The debt is mine from being unemployed for an extended time but I was...

View more questions Search