Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sue sprick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Maple tree
    Power company came by wanting to trim some trees near power line , I was afraid they may try to trim a maple tree so I made sure I said they could not ,he asked if the could trim a dead branch .(period) we agreed , they cut an entire half of the tree like right down the middle so it is like flat on one side and beautiful on the other , 2 questions different websites say different things some say trim only late winter to early spring ,other websites say now is the time?? And what can I do to get them to replace it ,they have offered to cut it down for free ,DAH!! Wonder why ? Any one with any ideas how I can handle this please HELP
    Thank you
    Sue
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 11, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Sorry Sue but they probably do this on a regular basis. The power line does not run on your property in all likelihood. They have an easement and can trim any branch that crosses into that air space. The bad trim will probably not kill the tree and in another year or so it will start to fill out. Don't talk to the trim crew any further if you want to purse this issue, ask for the name and number of their supervisor and the supervisor's supervisor.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2007, 06:01 AM
    Sue, I am afraid that ballengerb1 is correct on this issue. Even though your "property" line is to the middle of the street/road. There is an easement that allows the local, state, and federal agencies to do as they wish for the general publics safety, or to render services. Although your tree looks bad, it would be worst this winter to loose power to your heaters, or central heating unit if your power was out due to the ice breaking limbs off your maple tree and tearing down the power lines. The trim crew may have been excessive, but they were trimming the trees to prevent power outages for you and others I am sure. I don't know where you are located so don't think I am defending anyone in particular here. But I think I would just let them remove the tree completely and have them grind the stump and get rid of it as well, then replant a new tree taking into consideration the size expectations at maturity and plant it another 15 feet back further than recommended by your figures for a "safety net" so you can enjoy your new tree forever.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 14, 2007, 11:53 AM
    Actually the property lines aren't at or in the street but many folks assume they own to the curb since they mainatin it and cut the grass. I currently have three properties and all of the true lines, per surveys, are 20' back from the curb. Not sure what happened here but it appears some of Sues responses have disappeared. I would have to see the tree but it may be worth letting it grow for another year or two just to see if it starts to fill in again. It probably looks totally ridiculous right now but it may improve in a year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maple tree [ 1 Answers ]

I had an old beautiful maple tree in my backyard that looks like it is dying. The leaves last year didn't get as big as they usually did and now this year most of the tree did not bud and what ever did is turning brown and drying up. It is June and it should look great not like it is dying. I live...

Maple Tree [ 3 Answers ]

How do I go about selling a maple tree? Thanks.

Maple Tree ? [ 3 Answers ]

There is a red and a yellow maple tree? They are green all summer. The red one has bright red leaves in the fall and the yellow one is bright yellow in the fall. In the spring they have buds all over the tree the red is bright red buds and the yellow is bright yellow buds! I don't know the correct...

Maple tree [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am removing maple tree and I want to plant Dogwood close to that area. How can I remove maple tree roots to plant Dogwood? Thank you Paul

View more questions Search