Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xgreeneyes98x Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2007, 03:32 PM
    Kinematics- Acceleration
    A bullet traveling 220 m/s strikes a tree and penetrates 4.33 cm before stopping. Find the acceleration of the bullet and the time it takes to stop.

HELP A.S.A.P!
    BobJ Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xgreeneyes98x
    A bullet traveling 220 m/s strikes a tree and penetrates 4.33 cm before stopping. Find the acceleration of the bullet and the time it takes to stop.

HELP A.S.A.P!
    Solve the two equations for acceleration, a:
    x=1/2 a t^2 or a = 2x/t^2
    v=at or a = v/t

So 2x/t^2 = v/t
    t=2x/v = 2*.0433 m / 220 m/s
    t = .00039 s

The acceleration is a = v/t = 220 m/s /.00039 s or 560000 m/s^2, --->57,000g's!
    terryg752 Posts: 197, Reputation: 4

Oct 11, 2007, 03:56 AM

HELP A.S.A.P!
    u = initial velocity = 220, v = final velocity = 0
    s = distance = .0433 m, acceleration = a

Formula: v^2 -u^2 = 2as

Hence a = 558891.45 m/sec^2
    pawel Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2007, 07:05 PM

HELP A.S.A.P!
    Since the bullet has stopped. So we can conclude that bullet must be retarted
    Now as given in the question,
    U=220m/s ,V(final velocity)=0 ,S=distance=0.0433m
    Use third equation of motion i.e v^2-u^2=2as
    putting the above values we get retardation=558891.455m/s^2
    or we can say that acceleration = -558891.455m/s^2

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kinematics Help! [ 2 Answers ]

A bicyclist is finishing his repair of a flat tire when a friend rides by with a constant speed of 3.5m/s. Two seconds later the bicylicts hops on his bike and accelerates at 2.4m/s^2 until he catches his friend. (a) How much time does it take until he catches his friend? (b) How far has he...

Kinematics Plane [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot figure out this question! "An airplane can reach speeds of 980m/s. How long would it take a plane traveling at this speed to travel 1500KM? Why would it actually take longer than this? So my teacher wants either m/s or km/h and I want to change it it to km/h:confused:

Substituting derivative of acceleration for acceleration [ 1 Answers ]

Can the derivative of acceleration be subsituted for a in f=ma?

"kinematics-motion in one dimension" [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble with three questions on a homework set. Could someone please offer help as how to solve these problems. Other examples would be great! Thanks 1) A daring ranch hand sitting on a tree limb wishes to drop vertically onto a horse galloping under the tree. The constant speed of...

Kinematics [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble answering this problem. Please offer any suggestion. There are several parts to be answered: 1) An object moves along the x axis according to the equation x(t) = (3.90t2 - 2.00t + 3.00) m. a) Determine the instantaneous speed at t = 1.60 s and at t = 3.10 s. b)...

View more questions Search