Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hsw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2007, 04:30 AM
    401K Hardship Withdrawal and Credit
    How can I take a hardship withdrawal without having to first ruin a perfect credit rating? Case in point - If I cannot pay my mortgage due to job loss, do I really have to be at the point of foreclosure (where my credit rating will be in ruins) before I can withdraw to paydown my mortgage and refinance?

What if I sell my house and need the hardship withdrawal to pay towards a new house (assuming I cannot get a mortgage due to job loss). Could I avoid having to ruin my perfect credit in this scenario?
    trishatony Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2007, 05:15 AM
    A hardship withdrawal is for an immediate need so if there is no threat of foreclosure you cannot get that, but if the home that you are buying is going to be your principal residence you could get the withdrawal toward payment also I know with my husbands he is allowed to take loans.
    DTD Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2007, 04:50 AM
    I would not be so anxious to pull money to pay a mortgage especially if home upside down in value. Job loss means you need to have emergency money on hand. Home might not be saved. But you will be worse off with out cash in hand. Arranging with mortgage company to restructure payments due to hardship maybe better to buy some time. So many people purchased home with 100% programs and not worth keeping home especially if value not there. Not sure if switching to % only if property has equity. Better pay interest only and it be deductable and wait to see if market turns and free up money.

newsletter may help DTD & Associates Inc. HBW "Helping Build Wealth" - Managing Cash : Article: Managing Cash

Pete

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k hardship withdrawal [ 10 Answers ]

I will try to summarize my situation. My wife & I gross $55000/yr. We've recently re-financed our house to the max value of $110000 & still have $50000 of credit card debt. We are both losing our jobs due to a plant closing. I have a job on the horizon but, my wife, who earns the majority of the...

Hardship withdrawal from 401k from Fidelity Investments [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 401k with fidelity investments and need a hardship withdrawal for an eviction.. what information will I need to get :confused: from my company?

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

Hardship withdrawal [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, What kind of documentation is needed to prove a hardship. I am in danger of being evicted by my landlord. My credit cards are maxed, my bills and expenses for myself and my dependents is beyond my income. What steps do I need to do to get this hardship proved and how long is the...

View more questions Search