Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2005, 03:21 PM
    Wet bar in basement
    Hi,

I want to put in a wet bar (sink) in my basement, but I don't know where to drain the sink.

As I explained in a previous post.

"I want to put a sink in my basement, but I dont know where to drain it. Basicaly I have three pipes in my cement floor and I don't know what they are for.

1. One pipe that is coming up from the ground at a 45 deg angle. With a cap and a square bolt on it.

2. this pipe is straight up also with a cap and a square bolt.

2. The other pipe is a big black pvc pipe about 8" that is straight up and sort of flush with the floor. It has a lid and has a bit of water in it.

What are these pipes and can I use one as a drain for the sink?"

What do I need to install the sink?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 19, 2005, 04:10 PM
    Hey Stevarino,

The pipe with the cap is the sewer clean-out. The other sounds like a pit for a sump pump. While you may cut into the cement in the floor and connect to the main you will still have to vent the bar sink. If it's not handy to vent out the roof you may install a AAV, (Air Admittance Valve) if you wish. Since I have no knowledge of your plumbing layout I can't get more specific. Good luck, Tom
    stevo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2005, 07:33 PM
    :) Thanks Tom,

Where would I find the main?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 20, 2005, 06:02 AM
    "Where would I find the main?"

Both the pipes that are clean outs are connected to mains so that could be a good place to start. Locating a sewer main in a poured floor is a little like a Easter egg hunt. How a plumber goes about it is to first locate the main sewer cleanout and then the main stack coming down from upstairs. We then figure,( gestimate actually) where we would run the main if we were laying it out. HINT: In a basement we try to run the main in a straight line between the stack and the clean out. You have two threads open, see your other question for vent information. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there well I am trying to put a washer in my basement but the sewer line is on the other side of the house from where it will be put so I am asking how should a go about running the drain line without cutting a hole in the floor I have herd about a sump pump and a tank but was not sure if...

Basement shower [ 16 Answers ]

So here is the problem... My husband installed a new shower head, which works fine. But now the neck of the shower pipe is leaking at the wall and down the wall... Coming out under the walls and making a horrible mess. Is there any way we can fix this or are we going to have to tear something's...

Basement bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom in abasement that is stubbed in. My questions are; 1. Do I simply remove the plastic pipe that is now covering the waste line for the toilet and glue a toilet flange to the pipe where it enters the concrete floor? 2. Same general question on the drain line for the vanity?...

Basement drain, Where's it go? [ 3 Answers ]

My basement drain was set up as a basic shower drain, only much larger, (about the size of septic pipe). Does this go into the septic or just a drain field? THanks

Basement Bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of finishing off a basement bathroom, I am going to tile the floor. There is a pipe approx. 6" high coming out of the floor for the toilet, when installing the floor how close to the floor should I have to cut the pipe off, how much room do I need to leave around that pipe, do I...

View more questions Search