Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2005, 10:01 AM
    Pipes in basement floor
    Hi,

I want to put a sink in my basement, but I don't know where to drain it. Basically I have three pipes in my cement floor and I don't know what they are for.

1. There are two pipes that are coming up from the ground at a 45 deg angle. They both have a cap with a square bolt on it. One pipe is black the other is white. They are both covered with a piece of plywood.

2. The other pipe is a big black pvc pipe about 8" that is straight up and sort of flush with the floor. It has a lid.

What are these pipes and can I use one as a drain for the sink?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 20, 2005, 05:48 AM
    Good morning Steve,

The pipes with the caps are the clean out openings for the sewer line. The pipe with a lid sounds like it might be a pit for a sump pump.
    To connect your bar sink you will have to drain into one of the mains connected to the clean-outs. This will mean jackhammering up the cement and cutting into a convenient drain line. Any one will do. But you'll also have to vent your bar sink. You have the option of running a vent up through the roof or installing a AAV,(Air Admittance Valve) on the top end of the drainage tee used to pick up the sink. If you're not familiar with AAVs you may check them out at; http://www.studor.com/homeowners.htm
    See a picture of a Studor Vent below. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom sink, pipes from floor [ 12 Answers ]

Hello. I just moved into a new apartment and find the bathroom sink vanity in terrible condition. I want to replace it, but see that the three pipes for water and drainage come up out of the floor (when you open the vanity doors you see the pipes going up from the floor to the basin)--instead...

Running Drain pipes through 2 x 8 floor joists. [ 1 Answers ]

I am doing an addition and need to move my 3" drain pipes. My question is can Holes be cut into the floor joists (2 x 8). to accept the 3" pipes. The pipes are for the upstairs bathrooms.

Pipes in new basement floor [ 7 Answers ]

I'm going to be putting in a bathroom in the basement of my new house but I'm not sure what the connections are for. I have a 12"X12 box right in the concrete floor. I haven't cut it open but I think that is for the shower? I have one larger capped tube coming straight up and I think that is for...

Basement Rough In Pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I am new to this forum but would like to know how I can tell what pipes are what in my basement rough-in. I currently have 3 pipes sticking up from the floor. The bigger one is for the toilet I assume but I have 2 smaller ones, one of which is sticking through a part of the floor which...

Wet basement floor [ 3 Answers ]

In May when I first turned on my ac I had wet spot on my basement floor that came through my carpet. I had to put a condensate pump on near my furnace and water heater. That seemed to solve the problem until yesterday I noticed that the same spot as before is wet again and also around my furnace....

View more questions Search