Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 07:27 PM
    Water Pump Removal: 2000 Taurus w/Duratec Engine
    Water Pump Removal: 2000 Taurus w/Duratec Engine

1. Disconnect negative battery cable and, two minutes later, disconnect positive battery cable, to prevent accidental deployment of air bags.
    2. Remove serpentine belt.
    3. Place car on jack stands.
    4. Trick: Remove right-front wheel and plastic wheel-well liner (3 screws and 4 push pins), for access.
    5. Remove air dam and drain radiator.
    6. Disconnect radiator hoses from water pump.
    7. Remove antifreeze reservoir (degasser), for improved access.
    8. Remove tensioner pulley, for improved access.
    9. Remove water pump assembly, by loosening four 13 mm nuts securing the pump/housing to engine (3 from the top and 1 through wheel-well access) and three 10 mm bolts securing the pump/housing to the air conditioning compressor brace (through wheel-well access).
    10. Disconnect heater hose from water pump.
    11. Separate water pump from pump housing.
    12. Clean gasket and sealant material from pump housing.
    13. Coat new gasket, on both sides, with black RTV sealant, Permatex No. 2, or other suitable sealant.
    14. Install pump on pump housing and tighten the (7) M6x1.0, Grade 5, cap screws hand-tight. Then, tighten cap screws to 98 inch-pounds (lubricated), using a 5 mm hex bit socket. The Haynes Manual and AllData say to tighten the cap screws to 18 lb.-ft. which will strip the aluminum threads in the water pump.
    15. Install new pump/housing on engine, tightening the 3 bolts securing the air conditioning compressor brace to 18 lb.-ft. and the 4 nuts securing the pump/housing to the engine to 22 lb.-ft.
    16. Reattach radiator hoses, heater hose, button everything up, and refill with coolant.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 07:42 PM
    This material was entered to have it in our data base for future searches.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do need to know to replace 2000 Taurus Duratec 3.0 spark plugs? [ 3 Answers ]

The engine trembling after my replacement

99 Taurus Service Engine Soon light [ 1 Answers ]

My car sputtered and shook a little when I turned the engine on. It went away after I drove a short way, then the Service Engine Soon light came on and stayed on. Any ideas on this?

Check Engine Light 91 Taurus [ 1 Answers ]

My check engine light pops on after car runs for about 10-15 minutes. Just replaced power steering hoses, which I removed the air filter assy. Checked connectors and wiring, everything seems tight. My concern is an electrical plug on the old P/S hose I removed. The new hose does not have this, I...

99 taurus service engine soon light [ 3 Answers ]

The service engine soon lis on and the wires/plugs have been replaced twice within the past 8 months because that was the diagnosis. The light is still on and I had them test it today/they say it is the 4th plug again. It can't be not already. Then he said it might be the ignition coil. What do...

View more questions Search