Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BigRiver Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 09:04 PM
    Mower doesn't start ---- Throttle lost control
    Hi Everybody,

This is my first time to be here joining "askmehelpdesk". My Craftsman lawn mower does not start at all (no any sound when pulling the starting rope).

I found the throttle can not be adjusted though the control lever can be set to either "Low" or "High". It seems to me that one of the 2 springs that linking the throttle has lost its sthreng...

Anyway, I wonder whether the out of adjustment of the throttle is the reason that causes the no-starting problem. Any answers are appreciated.

Thanks,
    River
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 06:41 PM
    A little confused here, give more precise details and symptoms before the non-starting issues.

Oct 10, 2007, 08:21 PM
    Mowerman,

Thanks for your help. My Craftsman model 2 in one (mulcher and bag) does not start. Last start was September 2006.

One thing I found abnormal is that when I switch between "Low" and "High" positions, the throttle (choke) linkage does not move. That means choke is no longer adjustable by switching the "Low" and "High" control lever. In other words, control lever can be moved between "Low" and "High", but the choke linkage is not moving (I think one spring lost its funtion).

I can not tell the current position of the choke is at "Low" or "High" because I can't see inside the carburator. If it is at "Low", the mower won't start. If it is at "High", it should start. If it doesn't start at "High", there must be some other reasons to cause the mower no starting, right?

Have I made myself understood? I will be more than happy to provide more information toward resolving the issue.

Regards,
    BigRiver
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2007, 04:52 AM
    Not exactly. But remove the air cleaner housing to where you can see the carbs float "butterfly flap". Activate the throttle and see if it changes position. If not, the cable could be hung, or perhaps a linkage rod is off the flaps control arm.

Oct 19, 2007, 08:11 PM
    Mowerman,

Following your instructions, I removed the airfielter and looked inside the carb, but I did not see the choke "butterfly". I switched the adjust lever between the LOW and HIGH positions, I did not anything changed inside the carb. Now I have idea what to do.

I put the airfielter back, changed the old gas with fresh gas, pumped the rubber thing to absorb gas into the carb and tried to start the mower. I heard some weak "po po" sound, but still could not start the mower.

I wonder why there is not a choke "butterfly" inside the carb. I actually only saw a bright something like a valve inside the carb and it does not move at all when I adjusted the LOW and HIGH lever. Acrually there was nothing moving. Do you have any more idea?

Anybody has a mower like this: craftsman 2 in one (bag and mulcher, 3.5 horse power, 20 inch cut. Anybody has an idea about this kind of choke and the choke control mechanics?

BigRiver
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 09:17 PM
    Well the sounds you are describing now tells me you could have a valve hanging open and not allowing the engine to run. Do you have a compression tester? Is the po po sound backfiring through the carb?

Oct 19, 2007, 11:22 PM
    There is a couple of weak "po po" sound when I pull the sstartiing rope. It is more like lacking fuel in the carb. Say a good mower, sometimes we only hear the "po po" sound for the first or second pulling and the mower starts after a few pulls. This is something like a old car too. It starts after a few tryings. I wonder whether the choke is kept constantly open so that too much air and too little gas in the carb. Too bad I could not tell if the choke is open, I don't know it.

BigRiver
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2007, 07:14 AM
    Well after finding out it is a 3.5hp briggs it is not going to be operated with the butterflies as I had mentioned. It is only going to have one butterfly. Sounds like if it is sounding correctly and is starting finally, it could be a bad diaphram, or could be a rusty fuel tank causing a blockage in the fuel system.

Oct 20, 2007, 09:39 PM
    Mowerman,

Sorry, I did not put it clearly. The mower did not start. I described the "po po" sound something like that the mower was trying to start, but it never did it.

Mowerman, you said it is a single butterfly in the carb, I did not see it. I will remove the gas tank, cover, and airfilter again. Manually move the throtle linkage and check any changes to happen inside the carb. From there, trying to figure out the position of choke.

Thanks so much.

BigRiver
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2007, 05:33 AM
    OK, if you don't see a butterfly you must have one of the "newer", carbs that do not have a butterfly but is a plastic bodied piece of "junk". If it is one of the plastic carbs, you can replace the carb for about $20 to $28. And you are confusing, you say the mower will start after a few pulls, then you say the mower didn't start?

Oct 21, 2007, 12:50 PM
    Mowerman,

Thanks for your answers, which are very helpful. Now I believe the carb is a piece of "junk". For sure there is no butterfly inside. I will try to get a new "junk" carb from Sears (The mower was bought from Sears) some 15 years ago.

Sorry for my confusing statements. I was trying to describe it this way that the "po po" sound something like a engine trying to start stugling with "po po" noise. My Craftsman never started this year, just presented a few noise of "po po".

I hope I can get a new "junk" carb. Then I will let you and other friends to know the situations.

BigRiver
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Okay, then it could be the flywheel key sheared. I was understanding that it would finally start to run after repetitive pulling the rope. I think it is the flywheel key.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2007, 11:23 AM
    You can try something. Try chocking the carb with a rag and a straw. Cover the carb with the rag, but leave a straw's worth of the ability to get a little bit of air. Maybe this is something I should try when I'm bored. I have no idea if it will work, but it's worth a try. Take the air cleaner off. Try starting the engine and remove the rag when it appears to start. You can also try adding a little carb cleaner in the carb as starting fluid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Riding mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I started the mower, MTD Yardman 17.5 hp B&S, cut the lawn and put it away. I tried to start it a couple days later and it wouldn't start. I did not even get a "click" from the starter solenoid. I was able to jump start it with a portable jump pack. After turning it off it would not start. I...

Mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Bolens 4.5 mower probably less than 2 yrs old. I've checked the fire from the coil and I have consistent fire, I can hear the compression. I just need to know how I inspect this carb to see if it needs rebuilding. Also where would I get the rebuild kit. Any help would be appreciated as...

Mower won't start. [ 9 Answers ]

All, I was working on the wiring on my mower, because a white wire was disconnected. It smoked from the flywheel area. I thought it was the coil, replaced that. It still doesn't start. It will turn over continually no problem. Just doesn't fire up. Could it be a switch, wiring, any ideas? ...

View more questions Search