Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjeliason Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 07:55 PM
    Stripped out seat in shower faucet
    I bought a seat wrench from my local hardware store to remove a seat that is chipped in my shower. I used the wrench on the seat and it was so old (my guess is 15 years or so) that it just stripped out the metal and now I can not get the wrench to turn it at all. I have called a few plumbers and everyone wants to rebuild the whole thing. I just want the chopped seat removed and a new one put in. can you tell me any other trick to get the old one out on my own?

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2007, 09:05 PM
    I see a couple of choices not having had the problem to deal with.

Soak area with WD-40.

If a Dremel tool will reach I'd make a slot and use a very wide blade screwdriver to remove the seat.

There are all sorts of tools to remove broken screws/bolts etc. Easy outs are one example.
    jncoguy1254 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2012, 09:49 PM
    WD40 three times wait at least 30 minutes between applications. Insert seat wrench. Tap in with hammer.. Don't be afraid to put some muscle into this.. Lean into and turn. I once wrestled with one for an hour but it can be done... If you do stripped the wrench just goes straight through to the union when its inserted try a very large extracting drill bit. Looks like a flathead drill bit

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bath Tub Faucet seat [ 1 Answers ]

How do I replace a tub faucet seat in which the hex head is stripped out?

Where can I buy seat removal tool and repair kits for 20 yr old Cadet Prestige faucet [ 2 Answers ]

I have 3 sets of faucet valves & handles (Cadet Prestige chrome spread faucet - #2811.200) on sink and in bathtub. They were installed in 1989. All the faucets now drip, even when the faucet is tightly closed. I’ve taken them apart and noticed that the ‘permanent’ diaphragm has microcracks and...

Replace seat in Shower Faucet [ 3 Answers ]

I have an American Standard 2 Handle Shower faucet. I am familiar with replacing the washer, stem and handles. It looks like there is a small break on the seat of this faucet. Question, is the seat replacable and how do you remove it? Model # I believe is 1800 or 1805. Thanks in advance for...

Stripped out shower knob [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Price Phister shower water mixer. After about 10 years the screw that holds the hot/cold on/off knob to the shaft of the water mixer seems to have stripped out. I suspect the metal screw that holds it together is going into a plastic fitting that has fatiged over time and is stripped out...

View more questions Search