Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    enj99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2007, 12:38 PM
    Shower temperature difficult to adjust
    Shower used to work good. Now a small turn of the hot knob makes the water either too hot or too cold. When the temperature is set right, the hot water tap is barely open. The shower is probably about 40 years old. What would be the problem with this?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 6, 2007, 01:06 PM
    Have you considered replacing the shower's hot water vale, maybe all of the valves.

There is probably a ton of crud in the line. Also make very sure you get the exact model of valve for replacement. I suspect that the real problem is the obstructed flow of cold water. Small changes in the hot water valve might be caused by the mixing station (I think that's what its called) not getting enough cold water.
    enj99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Both hot and cold have close to the same pressure when going through the lower spout. The pressure for both hot and cold is about the same when going through the shower head as well. That is if I turn either the hot or cold off completely and turn on only one at a time. I have no problem mixing hot and cold when I want the water to come out the lower spout. The mixing doesn't work well only when I want the water to come out the shower spout. When I turn on the shower spout, all the water comes out the water spout (none out of the lower spout). Is it possible to repair this without having to pull apart the wall? Is the problem with the diverter? Do you still think it could be clogged?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to adjust hot water in shower [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to remove the set screw from the faucet but I don't see one. All I have is a little hole on the back without a screw in it. Is there another way to get it off or to adjust the hot water without removing the valve.

Outside Temperature and Indoor Water Temperature [ 1 Answers ]

I just have a general plumbing question. I live in a 4 year old luxury apartment building downtown and we have had an issue with our water temperature for the past month. (there is no cold/cool water... it is all hot - out of all the faucets). The building management is trying to say that this is...

Shower Hot Water Temperature Standard for Apt. [ 3 Answers ]

Please help! My shower in my apt registers from 95 degrees to 101 degrees and the management is insisting that is standard hot water temperature. I know there is a problem because in the past my shower could register 125 degrees. All my attempts at getting this problem solved have been ignored...

Shower temperature change [ 3 Answers ]

We are about to build a new house on a slab. Is there any way to minimize the temperature change in a shower, as when someone turns on another faucet, flushes the toilet, etc. Maybe pipe circuitry, or sizes? Thanks.

View more questions Search