Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blueandthebeen Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2007, 09:05 AM
    BOTH garage door openers quit working
    The remotes used to work but we've only been renting here 8 weeks. They worked for a couple weeks and then just quit. You can open the door using the button inside the garage but neither of the remotes will open or close the door at all now. We have changed the batteries so that's not the problem.

Also, there is nothing in the way of the 2 eyes reading each other. This is not our home, we are renting so we would like to try some methods that don't involve buying and installing different hardware. That will be our last resort to call the landlord and have him do that for us. For now, is there anything we can check or do to possibly solve this problem ourselves, before bringing him in? (reason is just because we don't want him here right now until we clean out the garage better)

My hubby also asks where are the remote sensors located so that he may check that? (not the floor eye sensors)

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
    Heather
    yenkalb Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Oct 6, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandthebeen
    The remotes used to work but we've only been renting here 8 weeks. they worked for a couple weeks and then just quit. You can open the door using the button inside the garage but neither of the remotes will open or close the door at all now. We have changed the batteries so that's not the problem.

Also, there is nothing in the way of the 2 eyes reading eachother. This is not our home, we are renting so we would like to try some methods that don't involve buying and installing different hardware. That will be our last resort to call the landlord and have him do that for us. For now, is there anything we can check or do to possibly solve this problem ourselves, before bringing him in? (reason is just because we don't want him here right now til we clean out the garage better)

My hubby also asks where are the remote sensors located so that he may check that? (not the floor eye sensors)

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
    Heather
    Not sure what type of operators you have; but check then call their 800# the problem may be with the limits set on the doors sometimes they are can change or alter (poltergiest) or something.
    Overhead door ed
    blueandthebeen Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by yenkalb
    not sure what type of operators you have; but check then call their 800# the problem may be with the limits set on the doors sometimes they are can change or alter (poltergiest) or something.
    overhead door ed

What is "limits set on the doors" mean? I'm not sure I understand the answer. Thanks!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2007, 12:49 PM
    I would double check batteries or verify with meter. You may tell the owner that he may need to press the learn button on the operator until led lights, then press remote button to learn, repeat for other door. Good luck.
    Oh, when you block beam path, do you see led on beam change states.
    I assume pushbutton on wall closes door, if you push button to close, then break beam, does it stop closing, if yes then beams are good.
    You should not have to mess with limits, doubt both changed(they limit up and down movement) and are in operator on ceiling.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2007, 01:08 PM
    If both remotes quit at the same time, they may be fine, it is the receiver. Often they are mounted near the motor itself. Even if not, there should be a cable, 3 wires? running from the motor unit to the receiver. All the wires at both ends must be connected.

Some openers have limit switches mounted on the tract that tell the opener when the door is up or down. Some have the electric eyes. If the door works with the push buttons, I doubt the problem is with the eyes or limit switches.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2005 dodge caravan door locks quit working [ 20 Answers ]

My 2005 dodge caravan electric door locks quit working. I think it may be a fuse or breaker. Whear is the breaker box?

Overhead Door garage door opener light just blinks? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My 15 y/o Overhead Door (brand) garage door opener was working fine opening & closing until a few days ago. It has very low usage because I mostly park my car outside the garage door. Now when I press the remote control w/ new battery OR the hard wired wall switch, the light on the...

Garage door [ 2 Answers ]

We do not have a garage door opener, but always open it by hand. Last week one side fell out of the track and I had to slacken the spring to fix it. The door is centred and is not rubbing against one side... so I'm assuming it is just the spring. Now that I put the spring back the door is very...

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

View more questions Search