Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hfoste01 Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

Oct 5, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Investing the difference on Insurance
    I want to know if I can invest my money in other things rather than just the traditional stocks and bonds etc. Can I collect the dividends on the invested difference?
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Oct 5, 2007, 06:26 PM
    You mention "insurance" in the title but not in the question. Your question mentions the "difference" but the difference between what? Can you be more specific?
    hfoste01 Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

Oct 6, 2007, 04:26 AM
    Sorry, I have term insurance and I want to know how to invest the difference with my insurance. From my understanding, I can buy term and invest the difference. The difference can be invested in Stocks Mutal Funds and other things. I was wondering what else I could I invest in with the difference from the insurance. Also, can I collect the invested money from the difference that I've invested in?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 6, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Please clarify what you mean by "the difference." Perhaps someone has told you that since term life insurance is less expensive than alternatives such as whole life or variable life, you could invest the money you save by switching from one of those policies to a term life policy -- is that what you're getting at?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 8, 2007, 09:19 AM
    Follow up - through email the OP advised that he is interested in "Buy Term and Invest the Difference." This is basically a strategy of spending less on term life than you would on a typical whole life or universal life policy, and investing the difference on your own. There's a good discussion of this topic here:

Buy term and invest the difference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe this is a good strategy - in general I am not a fan of either whole life or variable life, as the fees they charge tend to be high and your choice of investments is limited. However, it does require discipline to make sure that you keep up with regular investments - no one's going to send you a quarterly bill, so it's easy to put off making additional investments on a regular basis. The investments also won't have the tax deferral advantages of an insurance policy, unless you are making the investments into an IRA, 529 savings account, or annuity. Since this is self-directed, you have a very wide range of investment options, and should be able to find investments such as mutual funds which have much lower fees than you would have been paying to the insurance company.

If you put the difference into a non tax-advantage account (such as a standard brokerage or mutual fund account) you can of course do with investment and its returns as you wish - it's your money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Involved in accident without insurance but she had insurance [ 12 Answers ]

I live in PA. An older lady hit my car per the police report it states that she turned directly into my driverside of my car as I had the right of way. My car was damaged & I was hurt. I contacted my insurance company they told me my policy cancelled 3 days before the accident but its OK now...

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

Investing [ 3 Answers ]

My 19 year old son wants to start investing. He has saved about $1,000. What should he invest in? Louise

Investing [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find out if old stock certificates are of any value?

Investing [ 5 Answers ]

I want to take the money I have in my 401K plan from where I use to work and place it into something safe until I can find a new Job. Does anyone have any ideas where or who is paying the highest interest rates. Or Which mutual fund should I choose? Thanks, Alicat4790

View more questions Search