Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    limexx_35 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2005, 03:01 PM
    Can anyone help me with this problem?( science
    A brick falls from the top of a building and strikes the ground with a velocity of 19.6m/s. How long does the brick fall?
    SSchultz0956 Posts: 121, Reputation: 10

Oct 17, 2005, 09:23 AM
    Are you asking how long as in time or how long as in distance? Since Velosity = displacement/time elapsed does the problem give more information than the velocity? If so you could say time = V/displacement and Displacement = V* time
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2006, 07:52 PM
    ... acceleration due to gravity 9.81 meters per second squared... Its been ten years since high school but that is it no?
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Jan 23, 2006, 08:16 PM
    Based on the number given in the question, I'd assume acceleration due to gravity is 9.8m/s^2.

The equation for velocity in terms of constant acceleration is:

v(t) = v0 + a*t

Where v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. You can now solve for time given v(t) = 19.6, v0 = 0, and a = 9.8.

If the question is asking "how long" in terms of total distance fallen (which I don't think it is), start by solving for the time, then use the formula

d = v0*t + a*t^2/2, which you get by integrating v(t) = v0 + a*t.
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Jan 24, 2006, 07:15 PM
    Thank you for posting your question to the Ask Me Help Desk!

I would go about solving this problem in the following manner...

acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time

Our acceleration in this problem is the acceleration due to gravity which is 9.8 m/s/s

Our final velocity is 19.6 m/s/s as indicated by the problem.

Our initial velocity is 0 m/s/s which is derived from the fact that before it began to fall off the building, it was not moving.

We can then solve for time.

9.8 = (19.6 - 0) / t

9.8 = 19.6/t

multiply both sides by t

9.8t = 19.6

divide both sides by 9.8

t = 2

The brick fell for 2 seconds.

I hope that this was helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Science Fair [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm doing an experiment for a science fair and I would like to know if you could tell me what is the general ingredients in drain cleaner and/or toilet cleaner. I trying to find out the affects of drain cleaner and toilet scrub on the environment. Of course, you can just give me a...

What is science? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi pals What is science? How can we define science and what is the nature ? Can u tell me different science's?

Science information [ 4 Answers ]

Why gases spread quickly?

Science [ 1 Answers ]

Choose the correct answer 2. justify why you chose that as the correct answer Scientists have discovered that chromosomal abnormalities such as down syndrome can result from unusual timing of hormonal cycles in older women that result in unusual hormonal concentrations during oogenesis. At...

Science - waves [ 0 Answers ]

Doing an assigment on waves - need to find an easy to understand explanation of how a radio works. Lots on the internet, but hard to understand. :D

View more questions Search