Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gsgolliaschicago Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2007, 11:01 PM
    what taxes I will owe on real estate sale
    I have a confusing problem. My family has recently sold property that was left to us. The property was only titled to an aunt, and one cousin. Everyone , even the aunt and cousin knew that the division of property was a 25% split, and then further divided into smaller %.
    Two families got 25%,
    One was broken into 12.5% X 2,
    and ours, being broken into 5% x 5 (children)

Two questions. The property was never titled in other than the two 25% members.

1).When it was assumed, (in 1962) it's value was small, maybe $50,000.
    Recently selling for $1.2 m, my question is what type of taxes are ( I am really only concerned about the 5% holders, my brothers and sisters), going to have to be paid.

2). Is there anyway to avoid certain taxes since we were not listed on the title as property holders
    We all (all interested % holders) were required to fill out and sign a 1090 form.

Thank you.
    GSGollias
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 4, 2007, 11:38 AM
    Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds to me like your aunt and cousin have made a very generous gift to the rest of you. Since they were the property owners, now that they have sold it they owe capital gains taxes - rough numbers: figure 20% of ($1.2M - $50K), or about $230K, or $115K each. And if the gift they made to you is 5% of 1.2M, then that means they gifted you $60K, and hence there may be some gift tax implications for them as well.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 5, 2007, 06:59 AM
    What Ebaines said MAY be accurate. It depends on whether the property was part of an estate, and how much the property "stepped up" in value when it ghot passed from the original owner to the heirs.

If the stepped-up value is close to the sales price, then it is likely that NO taxes are due, because the costs of the sale possibly will completely offset any capital gain for all of the heirs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Real estate foreclosure sale [ 2 Answers ]

A home in my neighborhood has been vacant since January 2007, the owner had died. There are no known relatives. The lawn has been taken care of by the neighbors to keep the area looking nice. The house is still fully furnished car in garage and all. No one has been in the house except the...

Home in revocable trust and real estate taxes [ 1 Answers ]

We recently put our house in a revocable trust, per our lawyer advice, with the purpose of having the house passed to our children smooth and easy in case of our death, 2 days ago we received a letter from the county property appraisal office telling us that our application for homestead exemption...

Taxes on sale of inherited real estate [ 1 Answers ]

We are selling the farm/residence we inherited from my father.what taxes are we going to be required to pay here in Virginia?

Estate taxes, appraisal, and property sale [ 1 Answers ]

A family member died in 3/05 and left us two houses in California in a trust. We'd like to get appraisals that are hopefully below $1.5 million to avoid the estate tax. What happens if we then sell the two houses and the sale prices are above the appraised values? Is estate tax recalculated? ...

View more questions Search