Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chris303 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2007, 09:08 AM
    Cloudy fish tank
    I just got a 28litre tank and have been running it for two days now with no fish in.I use the filter that came with the tank and have put nutrafin water conditioner and biological aquarium supplement.but when I got home today the water was cloudy . Is this normal and will it go away and when will it be safe to add fish?
    Oh it's a cold water tank.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2007, 10:20 AM
    The biological supplement is probably what is causing the cloudy water.
    If you bought a live active supplement, which is live beneficial bacteria that feeds on fish waste and old food, it needs a food source in order to survive.
    The dying beneficial bacteria will cloud the water.
    Or, it could be a bacterial bloom - meaning that the biological supplement you added to the water began to die (creating a food source) and the remaining
    Bacteria that didn't die started producing more bacteria to compensate for the losses and is feeding off the dead bacteria.
    This rapid bacterial growth causes cloudy water. But without a food source the process will continue to repeat itself.
    Either way, since the bacterial issue is so complicated and confusing and already off on the wrong foot,
    It will be easier and less frustrating to empty the water and start over.

Add 1 fish to the tank and follow the instructions for the recommend time and use of the biological supplement before adding more fish.
    Using this product is good when fish are providing the food source and your aquarium will be cycled and ready for more fish after the process is complete.
    Starting over will allow the aquarium to cycle in the steps intended. You can read about the aquarium cycle here.
    Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.
    chris303 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaeTrue
    The biological supplement is probably what is causing the cloudy water.
    If you bought a live active supplement, which is live beneficial bacteria that feeds on fish waste and old food, it needs a food source in order to survive.
    The dying beneficial bacteria will cloud the water.
    Or, it could be a bacterial bloom - meaning that the biological supplement you added to the water began to die (creating a food source) and the remaining
    bacteria that didn't die started producing more bacteria to compensate for the losses and is feeding off the dead bacteria.
    This rapid bacterial growth causes cloudy water. But without a food source the process will continue to repeat itself.
    Either way, since the bacterial issue is so complicated and confusing and already off on the wrong foot,
    it will be easier and less frustrating to empty the water and start over.

Add 1 fish to the tank and follow the instructions for the recommend time and use of the biological supplement before adding more fish.
    Using this product is good when fish are providing the food source and your aquarium will be cycled and ready for more fish after the process is complete.
    Starting over will allow the aquarium to cycle in the steps intended. You can read about the aquarium cycle here.
    Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.
    Thanks for the help,I will try it out and let you know how it goes.
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chris303
    thanks for the help,i will try it out and let you know how it goes.
    You're welcome, keep me posted.
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2007, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by chris303
    thanks for the advice mate, i now have 6 very happy healthy fish in the tank at the moment,who are enjoying crystal clear water. what are the best tank cleaning fish to get?
    Glad to hear things are going well.
    So that I can give you some good suggestions on compatible tank mates that may help keep the tank tidy, what fish do you already have?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cloudy fish tank [ 22 Answers ]

Hello , I recently got a new hobby... a 30 gallon aquarium.I have had it about 2 months. Initially I put in 6 gold fish,3 red cap orandas and 3 gold fish. I then went and bought ranchu(fat one) and bought 2 plecos(algea eaters) and 3 apple snails. All are fine, except that 2 of the snails died...

Cloudy fish tank [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought my fish tank 2 days ago I feed them very little in the morn. And very little at night... I use bottled water that they gave me at the store with the fish... yesterday morning the tank was cloudy I can't even see half of the fish only when they come to the front... what seemd to...

Gold Fish Cloudy Tank [ 2 Answers ]

We have 3 fairly large gold fish species, what size tank is adequate? One is showing signs of listing and black spots? They only get feed once a day and filter is changed often. Help grand kids coming soon. Thanks

Cloudy Fish Tank [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 50 gallon tank. Wasn't cloudy until I discovered one of the little sharks dead, caught in the filter thingy I removed the dead fish and added the treatment chemicals? What's next I have nine other fish I don't want to die. HELP! I'm new at this fish stuff, so please answer question...

Fish tank cloudy [ 6 Answers ]

All the typical teats come back normal (ammonia, nitrite,nitrate) but the water stays cloudy no matter the water changed or not. The fish tank is a 72 bow front with 4 fish 2 Amazon tiger catfish both about 8 in. 1 armor catfish and 1 pleco. I know the tank is not over stocked or over feed. Any...

View more questions Search