Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imadov Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Router, access point, cable . How can I use them to get a shared internet
    How can I connect an access point to a router to access the internet... if it's impossible, please show me the way to have a shared internet connection between 5 laptops using : a router an access point and a cable (internet connection)... thanks very much :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 3, 2007, 06:12 AM
    I'm assuming the router is not a wireless router and you want to connect the laptops wirelessly. Just connect the Access point to the router. Then configure the Access Point and the laptops to connect to it.
    ggardei Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Oct 3, 2007, 10:24 AM
    How can I connect an access point to a router to access the internet... if it's impossible, please show me the way to have a shared internet connection between 5 laptops using : a router an access point and a cable (internet connection)... thanks very much

Sharing an internet connection with your 5 laptops is easy using a wireless router. You can get one from any electronics store.

Here is how it works. Your internet connection (the cable modem or dsl modem) plugs into a port on the router. Your laptops connect to the router either wirelessly or through a wire. Each laptop needs to have wireless capabilities. If they do not, you can get a USB or PCMCIA wireless card to add that ability.

You do want to configure some security settings on the wireless network. Just follow the directions included with the router and this should help you out.

-- George
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Which parts do you have?

The AP/Router can be one in the same or different boxes.

Can we assume that your Cable modem connection to the PC is via Ethernet and that you only have 1 computer connected?

Some of the newer routers such as Belkin can function as AP's, repeaters and routers.

I have a Belkin router configured as an AP and a D-link AP, configured as an AP. The D-link product cannot act as a router.

What products do you have and what is the product manual link to each?

If you use an AP/router combo as a combo unit, then the cable modem must support bridge mode. If not, the AP must be assigned a fixed IP address on your LAN.
    DHCP and NAT can be preformed by the AP or the cable modem.

AP's/repeaters are sometimes nicer because they can tell you who's connected to the LAN.
    imadov Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 05:19 AM
    Dear Scott Gem this is what I am asking for : how can I connect the access point to the router? (with details ) :)... thanks a lot for your help
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 4, 2007, 05:20 AM
    Howstuffworks "How Home Networking Works"
    Home Networking Guide - Set up a Home Network
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 4, 2007, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by imadov
    Dear Scott Gem this is what i am asking for : how can i connect the access point to the router? (with details ) :) ... thanks a lot for your help
    Usually with an ethernet cable from One of the LAN ports on the router to the Uplink port on the Access Point. The manuals should tell you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CABLE and Modem Router [ 11 Answers ]

Hi my buddys has a cable modem which she connects to the internet with, its got one USB and one ethernet port on the modem. Ive only seen t he modem through webcam so I couldn't play around, we were NOT able to connect 2 machines one through usb and the other through ethernet. The cable...

Network access to one shared printer has failed [ 2 Answers ]

I have a windows network. Computers are Win98SE #1, Win98SE #2, XPsr2 #1 and XP sr2#2. I have USB printers attached to 98SE #1 and XPsr2 #1. Printers are shared. System in place for approx. 2yrs and has worked fine. About 3 weeks ago XPsr2 #1 had difficulty accessing the printer on Win98Se #1....

Router access point problems [ 11 Answers ]

I have a wrt54g router and a wap54g access point. Now the problem is I have used them both for some time now but just recently they have started to lose the signal, well the wireless network will just go away. I mean for no reason the wireless network will just go away as fast as it appered. I have...

Internet access using a router. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a home network with 2 computers, both using windows 98se. I use a router to connect both computers to the internet, however, the secondary computer can no longer access the internet. I have a connection between the 2 computers but no internet connection only on the second computer. What...

View more questions Search