Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dizzie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2007, 01:45 PM
    My 10 month lab
    My 10 month lab started season over a month ago and since then she does nothing but whine. She does not seem like her normal fun loving self as she does not want to play most of the time and she sleeps a lot. At the moment all she wants is cuddles and to be near us constantly, which I am not complaining about but still she is starting to worry me as she seems to be very calm (besides the whining) and that is not her. Is there someone that's had the same problem?will she return to her amusing and energetic state?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Almost any behavior can be expected as a female comes in season. Mostly they
    Demand attention, show more interest is sniffing around anywhere a male
    Marked, and can become very determined and creative about getting loose to
    Find male companionship. The vulva will swell and soon start a bloody
    Discharge. They become fertile in about a week later. Why not get her spayed as soon as the vet is willing? She will return to her normal behavior, or at least a more settled down version in another month. Then in about 4 months, the flaky behavior will start building up again before her next season. Every pet owner has the obligation to either learn enough about proper breeding or get their dogs fixed. Failing to do so is selfish and irresponsible, creating no end of misery. Please go to Woodhaven Labradors Articles
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Spaying and Neutering
    Females should be spayed—the removal of the ovaries and uterus—and males neutered—removal of the testicles—by six months of age. Spaying before maturity significantly reduces the risk of breast cancer, a common and frequently fatal disease of older female dogs. Spaying also eliminates the risk of an infected uterus, a very serious problem in older females that requires surgery and intensive medical care. Neutering males prevents testicular and prostate diseases, some hernias and certain types of aggression.

For more on this important surgery, read our top ten reasons to spay or neuter your pet.

Source ASPCA.org

I met a lady at baseball and conversation turned to dogs as it usually does with me, She had a young lab/poodle mix with her and I talked to her about neutering him. She said her first dog a yellow Lab had died from cancer. First she had breast cancer and about 6 years later she had uterine cancer. She said the reason she never spayed her was because she lived on a farm away from other dog's and was not worried that her dog would become pregnant. If she had known the dangers of keeping her intact, she said she would have spayed her in a second. She said no amount of money or tears could save her dog, but spaying would have if she had only known.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

11 month old Lab [ 2 Answers ]

We have an 11 month old Lab that is doing horribly at potty training. We crate trained her and she did well for a long time. But even now, she will go in the house about 3 times a week. The rest of the times she goes to the door and scratches. She is smart in other ways as she can sit, speak,...

How much should I feed my 5 month old Lab? [ 1 Answers ]

I feed my 5 month old Lab 2 cups of food each morning, and night. Is that the correct amount? Thanks

9 month lab teeth cleaning [ 2 Answers ]

My 9 month black lab has got one really bad tooth. He has nylabones that he chews on a regular basis only on one side of his mouth. The other side seems to have everything stick to it. One tooth in particular is really bad in terms of plaque on it... any suggestions for keeping his teeth clean?

8 month old lab has bowel problems [ 3 Answers ]

Ever since I brought my puppy home with me at 7 weeks old, she's had diarrhea stools. Sometimes it's better, sometimes, it's worse. She's not sick or anything, she acts like a normal crazy puppy. I had a country vet who treated her for worms, then giardia, and then suggested I switch food. None...

My 4 month old Lab puppy won't eat [ 5 Answers ]

My 4 months old Lab won't eat his dog food. This has been happening over the past 3 weeks and we have taken him to the vet, who doesn't know why he isn't eating. He has an appetite and will eat treats and pretty much anything BUT his puppy chow. We even bought Iams (he was getting purina puppy...

View more questions Search